Chapter 12

The weekend was busy with schoolwork and Travesty stuff with Ava. Her computer thankfully materialized on Friday under a pile of clothes and notions in her room. She had the decency to look contrite when she found it.

I didn't think much about Dylan's weekend in Mexico. I left the house before he came to drive Ava to school Monday because I wasn't ready to be regaled with stories of partying. Or to have him avoid the subject and leave me guessing what he'd been doing for the last seventy-two hours.

Dylan's text came in the middle of law class.

Need your help... It's an emergency

Get busted at the border?

Very funny... can you just come over?

Still in class

What's wrong?

It can wait until tonight

OK I'll come by later

He had piqued my curiosity. Despite the harsh words we'd exchanged the other day, I still wanted to see him.

Classes ended at five that day, which gave me time for a quick treadmill run. It did feel good to move my butt after the long hours in class. At home, I showered and threw on some jeans and a black T-shirt. As a small concession, I blow dried my hair and put on some lip gloss. I looked less fashionista than Stanford grad, but no future investors or Fashion Television reporters would be trolling the streets tonight.

I drove to Dylan's and pulled up at the curb. The big house had a double-wide driveway in which Dylan's and another car were parked.

Knocking on the door didn't yield anything, so I let myself in. Voices were coming from the kitchen at the back of the house.

"Hey, Lex." Kent and another guy I didn't know, introduced as Brock, were seated at the table when I came in, and we talked for a few minutes. By Kent's interest and the way Brock kept looking between us, I assumed nothing was going to happen with Kent and Ava. Too bad, because she'd spent the whole night after dinner talking about how she had always wanted to hook up with a surfer. She'd even dragged me shopping for rash guards. I didn't bother reminding her that she'd quit swimming lessons in third grade because she didn't like how the salt dried out her skin.

I heard feet on the stairs, and Dylan appeared in the kitchen doorway a few moments later.

"What's the emergency?" I asked, pushing off the counter. "Come on, Dylan. You're taking me away from the compelling world of incorporation law." He grabbed my hand and proceeded to pull me upstairs without a word of explanation.

"See you, Lex!" Kent called after me. I waved over my shoulder.

Dylan dragged me into his room and closed the door. He stood there, watching me, as if unsure of where to start.

I broke the ice. "How was TJ? Bring me anything?"

"It was good. And no. I didn't think you were a sombrero kind of girl."

I didn't laugh.

"Listen, I know you don't like it. But I did want to say thank you. For ... I don't know. Caring enough that it bothered you."

And despite my intentions, the irritation started to fall away.

"You're welcome."

I hadn't heard from him in four days, which wouldn't have seemed like a lot only a few weeks ago but did now. Part of me wanted to ask for the details of his weekend, but I worried about what would happen if I heard something I didn't like.