Realization

Heatwave:

     I go as fast as I can to get to doc green's house, probably breaking the speed limit 10 Times over. Thank God that Chase isn't here, or else he would have my helm for driving so fast. Though, I think he could let me pass on this one. After about two minutes of reckless driving, I finally arrive at my destination. I transformed and practically ran inside, fully expecting the latest haywire contraption to come flying at my helm. I lower my weapons after I realize all was quiet. Too quiet. 

     "Hello! Dr. Green?" 

     "Heatwave! I'm very sorry, but I did not know who else to call!" Ezra Green comes running from the hallway leading to the rest of the scientists home. I furrow my optic ridges in concern when I notice how upset Ezra is.

     "What happened, Dr. Green?" My tone was a little sharper than probably necessarily, but I need to get back to the firehouse and to Cody. 

     "It's... it's Frankie! She... she just...collapsed!" My eyes widen as I realize what Dr. Green was describing sounded exactly like what happened to Cody. 

     "Dr. Green, go get Frankie. We need to get her to the Firehouse NOW!" The poor man just nods and runs off, too distressed to speak. As I wait for Green to return with Frankie, my thoughts drift to Cody. I wonder how he is, and what in Primus actually hapened?! Also, what are the odds that the same this happened to both teens... at the same time. Dred piles up in my tanks as I realize how similar the two events are. 

     I didn't get the chance to think on the situation further because at that moment Dr. Green rushed back into the lab with Frankie laying pale and limp in his arms. I immediately transform into my firetruck mode and open my door for the two humans. As soon as they were in, I shot off at speeds I know for sure Chase would not like. Suddenly, my comm. Goes off. What now

"Heatwave?"

"What, Kade?" I retort in the kindest tone of voice possible for me at the moment.

"We have a bit of a problem..."

     Fear cascades through me as I think of the worst possible possibilities, none of them pleasant. I push my self even faster, hoping to reach headquarters before its too late...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kade: 

     I have always kept up the reputation of not being scared of anything, and I'm not! Snakes? Pftt, no problem! Spiders? Nope, not even a little! Anything else that does not start with 's'? Piece of cake. Except... there is one thing I'm afraid of, something I'll never admit out loud, and it doesn't start with s. I'm afraid of loosing the people I care about, especially family. And now, it's like my one and only fear is comming true. Cody... I know he's not dead, his pulse was most definitely there, but... he looks like it. He's so pale, it just... it's too much. My little brother is hurt, and I don't know what to do. I'm scared. I hear the trouble alarm go off, but, quite frankly, I don't give a scrap about anybody else's problems at this particular point in time. Cody is top priority right now, no matter how selfish that sounds. 

     "Seriously?! Now?! Kade, stay with Cody. Get him somewhere more comfortable than a metal floor, and keep an eye on him." I knod, not trusting my own voice, and run off to the elevator, ignoring the fact that Heatwave just gave me an order. During the trip, I can't help but glance down to the limp form of my little brother every five seconds. Every time I do, the feeling of dread intensifies. And so does my fear.

    I finally arrive at the first floor, considering putting Cdy on the couch, then mentally shake my head no. Cody's bed is much more comfortable. With that in mind, I rush up to Cody's room, careful to not jostle him too much. I kick the door open, seeing as my hands are unavailable at the moment. I speed-walk into the room and lay Cody down on the green, black and blue blankets. After I successfully positioned my youngest brother in a comfortable, well, position, I sat down on the edge of the bed and proceeded to move Codys hair out of his face. I had gotten a little long over the past couple months, ever since he refused to get a hair cut that's to one of doc Green's failed projects. It was SUPPOSED to cut people's hair for them, and Cody was the unlucky victim to check if it functioned properly. Let's just say, it didn't. 

     I chuckle a little at the memory, though the laugh dies in my throat when my eyes shift back to his face, and I remember what had happened just minutes ago.

     Darn, Code, what the heck happened? And... why? Who you? 

     A wave of sadness washes over me, making me grasp Cody's hand. I sit like that for the next minute or two, until a message came over my comm. Ugh, what now? 

"Yes?" I frowned when I realized how sharp my voice sounded, though I don't really care.

     "Help, help please... My daughter... she...she..." The sheer desperation in the woman's voice threw me off guard. Who...? 

     "Ma'm, calm down. What's wrong?

     "My... My daughter... Lyra... she... she just collapsed...!

    Lyra. That name's familiar... oh! Lyra Jenison! That means I'm talking to Mrs. Jenison, wife to Mr. Jenison, owner of Griffin Rock Bakery! And did she just say... collapsed? Shock settles over me as I connect the dots. 

    Cody collapsed...

    "Mrs. Jenison! Did you check her pulse?

    "...Yes, yes I did. It... it's steady, but..."

     "That's good! Keep an eye on her. If anything changes, let me know, okay?"

     "O...okay... I will..."

     "Okay, I..." before I could finish my sentence, I was interrupted by another emergency call.

     "I'm sorry, I had to go." I end the call and answer the new one.

     "Yes? What's the emer..."

    " My son! He's on the floor, and won't wake up! He's real pale and..." at this point my eyes are probably as large as dinner plates, especially after the woman calling because of her son was interrupted by seven other calls at once, all describing the same thing that happened to Cody... 

     I, as calmly as possible, tell each caller the same thing as I told the first woman, keep an eye their children and report to the Firehouse if anything changes. After a while, and after practically every parent in Griffin Rock called, I managed to comm. Heatwave to tell him what just happened.

     "Heatwave?"

     "What, Kade?" 

     I involuntarily flinch at the harsh tone, but get over it quickly. Heatwave is going through just as much stress as me right now. Cody is his family, too.

     "We have a bit of a problem..."

     Boy, isn't that the understatement of the century.

Comments, please!