Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Dieffenbachia

Dieffenbachia

I nestle into the cluster of pillows and open the book to the section about oleanders. I'm drawn to the stunning picture of the blooming flowers. 

Oleander is a durable shrub that can withstand droughts but are poisonous upon ingestion. Once ingested, the reaction can be mild to fatal depending on the dosage. This species of plant is beautiful due to the long oval leaves and the pink flowers blossoming in clusters.

He either loves the flower or he thinks I'm poisonous upon ingestion, which explains why he keeps me at bay with those 'goodnight' lines.

I was too easy on his nickname—I should have called him something poisonous like the dieffenbachia. It's a mouthful, and the length isn't short enough for a nickname, but upon ingestion the airways swell shut and that's what he does to me.

The poison doesn't stop there. A simple brush against the leaves can cause burning or itching to occur. Perhaps that's why The Boss keeps his distance from me—he's afraid he's going to hurt me or my life will suddenly explode into beams of fire.

Regardless of nicknames, there's nothing poisonous about my innocence. There's no way I could poison him from the inside.

If he doesn't pull the trigger, someone else will. I've never thought about dying young but maybe I should give it some thought? At least I'll have thought something through.

"My heart hurts thinking about this." I groan.

I snap the book shut and toss it onto the desk.

The worst part is that he'll never tell me the meaning behind it.

I grab my bag and race up the ladder. Austin is late for his shift but that isn't my problem. Pebbles can sort it out because I can't be down here any longer. I need air that doesn't smell like this or lavender.

Their voices grow louder as I sneak to the front of the house. I peek around the corner and bite my lower lip. It's worth trying to escape to my car because I don't want to get caught up in their argument.

Taking a deep breath, I make a run.

"You know I'm fucking right about—" My heartbeat quickens as my shoes slide across the pavement. "Are you serious? Fine. Ignore me and see what happens."

I squish myself against the house and wrinkle my nose. Despite my racing heartbeat, the front door smashes open and heavy footsteps follow.

The trees along the driveway shield the glowing moon. The shadows almost mask Austin's tall frame.

"You're being ridiculous." Austin's voice sends shivers down my spine.

"I'm done talking about this," The Boss shouts.

He swings around, jaw tense, shoulders hunched and his fist clenched.

"Why do you never listen? Don't you trust me? She's poison, you said it yourself."

"Don't forget who you are, Austin. You're out of line."

My body trembles despite the fact I should be outraged.

Austin pounces forward, swinging his fist. The Boss captures his fist mid-air and holds on. He tries to yank his fist back, but The Boss remains in power.

"Go home."

Austin struggles until The Boss releases his hand. Austin glares but leaves. As Austin fades into the darkness, I gasp for air.

"You can come out now, Tikera."

My shoulders sag as I exhale a breath. It's like I've been caught stealing cookies, but he's the one who owes me answers, answers I'll never get. Ugh, something else to drive me mad.