Chapter 2

"Holly, is there anything you'd like to say?" Principal Sloan turns to me.

"She doesn't." Mom spits. "Not until she smartens up."

Her words are like a punch to the gut. You'd think that after three weeks of this, I'd have developed some sort of immunity, but I haven't. The single tear slides down my cheek is proof enough, and I quickly wipe it away.

"Mrs. Mathews, why don't you let Holly talk." Principal Sloan purses her lips.

"Oh, sure, fine, go ahead Holly." Mom turns to me with that triumphant glint in her eyes. "What brilliant things do you have to say for yourself now?"

It's how she looked when she tore down the fairy lights from above my bed and dumped all my makeup in the trash. When she smashed my laptop and phone while I screamed my throat raw. I begged, pleaded, told her the truth... and look at all the good that did. Three weeks, and my parents—two people who've known and raised me for seventeen years—still don't believe me, so why would Principal Sloan be any different?

"See?" Mom shakes her head. "Don't wait for Holly to say anything useful."

"Mrs. Mathews." There's a note of warning in Principal Sloan's voice, the kind I immediately recognize. It always comes right before 'you're grounded,' 'you have detention,' and 'go to your room.' Not that I have a room anymore, but that's besides the point.

"Principal Sloan," Mom gets to her feet, "if your school can't follow a few simple instructions, I'll have my daughter home schooled. And don't think the school board won't hear about it."

I give Principal Sloan a desperate look, silently begging for her help. I'd rather die than stay home with Mom all day. I don't know how I survived the last three weeks, but I can't do it. Not anymore.

"Get up, Holly," Mom snaps. "Now!"

"Hold on..." Principal Sloan stands too. I don't know if she sees something in my eyes, or if she's worried about Mom going to the school board, but for a second, she hesitates.

Please, I form the single word on my lips, a silent cry for help. I need to get out of the prison that is my house. I need to feel human again.

"Well?" Mom snaps.

"Alright." Principal Sloan gives in, and I sag in relief. "I'll have each teacher send you a progress report, and Holly can eat lunch in the library. How does that sound?"

"Make sure she doesn't go anywhere near a computer," Mom snaps, her words muffled by the school bell.

"I'll see to it, Mrs. Mathews. Now, why don't we let Holly get to class?"

"Fine. Holly, I'll pick you up at 3:15 sharp. Try not to screw anything up until then."

"Holly," Principal Sloan turns to me, effectively dismissing Mom, "I've asked one of your classmates to show you around."

"What classmate?" Mom snaps to attention. "I didn't approve this."

"Mrs. Mathews, I have Miles show all the new kids around, and he's been doing a wonderful job. He's waiting for her now."

There was only one boy waiting in the office, and my pulse spikes. I don't know if it's excitement, or fear, or both, but I suddenly feel like I can't breathe.

"Shall we?" Principal Sloan walks around her desk and gestures for me to follow her out of the office.

"Don't tell me you're talking about that punk kid." Mom shoves past me.

Miles raises one pierced eyebrow in response, but I don't miss the momentary look of hurt flit across his face.

"Now, Mrs. Mathews—" Principal Sloan frowns.