Chapter 3

The autumn of ten year's Zhanghe. There will be a selection in another six months. The imperial order will likely reach each prefecture by the beginning of new year.

Mu Xi Yao didn't dare to resist fate. Moreover, she didn't want to end up unable to reincarnate, thus she made the preparations ahead of the time.

With her deliberate grooming, her chief maidservants Hui Lan and Mo Lan had gained modest knowledge about medicine. They coped well with situations that needed emergency treatment. Although they weren't versed in medical knowledge, and also couldn't check one's pulse nor write prescriptions, but they could identify almost all the common poisons.

Maidservant of second rank Chun Lan was literate, proficient in mathematics and could manage daily tasks. Inside Yingshui Pavilion, maidservants of second rank and higher were all children of household servants. Furthermore, they all have signed death contracts[1]. Xiyao made them all practice the extracted first part of health regime scripture, as well as forbidding them telling it to others. After half a year's time of practice, everyone had more agile movements and fitter bodies. It was impossible for them to catch cold from an ordinary cold air or trip over while walking.

Xi Yao was fully aware that inner yard was like a battlefield. Even the most brilliant general couldn't fare well without small soldiers. Obviously, the empty fort strategy[1] wasn't Mu Xi Yao's cup of tea. This demoness was highly capable, but she didn't like to be pushed around by others.

Nor the soul or the spiritual item, that held no grudge against her, had come to a good end. Not to mention those black-listed people that will emerge one by one in the near future. They have been firmly on her mind for a long time.

Mu Xi Yao had consumed the spiritual pill. Also, with the assistance of women benefitting's health regimen scripture, her mind was sharper and those pair of beautiful eyes of hers became more black and shiny. The sweet appearance of them gleaming with tears made one's heart unable to stop the itchiness[3]. In the previous life, her figure was already shapely. Nowadays, it was even more curvaceous. As Xi Yao would put it, an enchantress~.

Evening. The imperial palace. Sixth prince's study.

Zhong Zheng Lin finished reading reports. He leaned his back against a soft chair and casually stretched his long legs. He used one hand to smooth his furrowed brows and the other to tap on the table.

Wei Zhen, who was nearby attending, became even more quiet. Seeing the cold air his highness was emitting, he knew that someone was going to be in trouble.

As Zhong Zheng Lin's personal attendant, who had been accompanying him since he was six years old, Wei Zhen was naturally well acquainted with his highness's habits. He was just gloating at the bottom of his heart, guessing about who was the one to bump into his highness's hands. Shortly, he heard a deep male voice over his head saying, "Tell Ye Kai that we are departing to Qingzhou in three days."

He was about to reply when outside chief-steward Tian Fu Shan requested for an audience.

Tian Fu Shan was distant relative of Zhong Zheng Lin's consort-mother[4] consort Shu[5] of Tian clan. When sixth prince was seven years old, he was specially assigned to him by imperial consort Shu, to manage daily affairs in the prince's household. Tian Fu Shan was honest and dutiful, shrewd and capable. Moreover, he was trustworthy. Hence, Zhong Zheng Lin entrusted him with important tasks.

"Your Highness, where should be meal served?" Tian Fu Shan pondered and then added, "Concubine Kong had sent your highness a soup to the front yard during the day."

Zhong Zheng Lin acted indifferently, but Tian Fu Shan was certain his highness was displeased.

Indeed, he heard, "Serve it in study's outer room. Have concubine Kong study the conduct properly. She isn't allowed to leave the inner yard without a permission."