two

two

          CLOUDS parted in the sky, the sun shining down on the gathering of people as they walked out of the church, their black attire sharp and crisp. This was the second memorial for Beatrix's family; the first had been in London, where her home was. The family lawyer, George Murray, had spoken to Robert and had agreed that she was to stay living with the Crawleys at Downton Abbey as he was her next legal guardian. Murray had spoken to her about her inheritance - that she now owned her family home and her father and brother's wealth and soon enough it was transferred into her bank account. It was all too quick and swift. It wasn't right.

Jane had been marvellous to Beatrix, who was staying with her as her maid, comforting her. Sybil, the youngest Crawley daughter and her one year senior, had also been a large support. The two had always been very close - closer than she was to the other sisters.

Whilst in London, Beatrix watched as her family home was closed, white cloth carefully covering all the furniture, the windows shut and the lights all turned off. She couldn't help but feel like the house was her heart - now empty and closed off from the rest of the world. With her fingers, she traces the bannister and made her way upstairs. She walked around her brother and father's rooms. Seeing their rooms so bare made their deaths seem much more real. Part of her wanted to believe that it was a dream, that there'd been a mistake or something. But seeing their rooms covered and closed off, she realised that they were truly never coming back. They were gone. Forever. Lost to her.

Shutting the doors upstairs, she gloomily made her way downstairs. In the corner of her eyes, she saw a spot of colour amidst all the white and black. Her head perked up and she saw a young man standing in the hallway, the light streaming in behind him from the open door. He was dressed in all black, his blonde hair pushed down by his top hat, but a small collection of flowers in his hands. He was looking up at her, a sad smile on his face. Beatrix made her way over to him. Unsure of what to do, he handed her the flowers. "For you," he said. "I didn't know what else to bring."

She took them and said gratefully, "Thank you. They're perfect, Frank."

He sighed slightly. "How are you?" He asked.

"I honestly don't know," she replied.

They stood in silence. Frank looked around them. "You're closing the house?"

She nodded, following his gaze. "I'm going to live with my Uncle and Aunt at Downton."

"Permanently?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I honestly haven't even thought about what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone in a couple of years time."

He nodded. "Sorry," he apologised, his blue eyes wide.

Beatrix smiled. "It's okay. I'll miss you, too," she added, knowing what he was thinking. "It'll be strange not living so close to you."

With a large sigh, he wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly in his arms. Beatrix suddenly feared she was going to start crying, but somehow, she managed to keep herself together.

"Promise you'll write?" He murmured.

"I promise," she whispered.

True Hearts | Downton Abbeyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें