Fourteen | 💋

"One thing you can't fake is chemistry."

- Blake Shelton

"Camera one is set up near the table

"Camera one is set up near the table. Camera two needs to be positioned at the front door for the video's introduction, we'll pan out to the 'landscape,' – the coffee shop," a woman's voice instructed. She spoke mostly to herself as if marking off a mental checklist; a lanyard dangled around her neck, she bit her thumbnail as she glanced around the twelve o'clock dead hour. Mr. Dalton hired Violet Summers to direct Online Dating: Real or Fiction? She had six years of experience in the film and documentary industry along with a Master's degree. Violet knew the ins and outs. Most companies shed away from female directors, not with Hazel, Inc. Mr. Dalton was impressed with her perseverance and passion.

"Thank you for this opportunity. Now let's get down to business, what projects are in the works," Violet said once she accepted the position.

Violet read every word of my proposal. She saw a vision. She saw my vision. She wanted in.

A gentleman stood next to Violet in the EspressGo shop. He wore 90s headphones around his neck. The words "BAM!" and "POW!" written on the circular earpieces. In both of his hands, he held a spherical reflective lighting. He specialized in "illumination" to create mood and tone for the audience. His name was Bobbi with an "i." He said it every single time he introduced himself.

I sat at a nearby table. My fingers were going a mile a minute on my cell phone. My back leaned against the metal chair. I pulled over another chair to prop my legs up. My face was powdered and highlighted and with a dash of mascara. Cathy, the make-up artist, complimented my natural features: strong jawline, full lips, and thick eyebrows. I held my breath.

Cathy's nasty onion breath made me gag. I gave her short answers. "Uh-huh," "Hmm," or I nodded my head.

"There, darling, you're all done," Cathy stated. She held the egg shaped sponge in her right hand. Her gorgeous raven hair was twisted in a messy bun. She then started to organize all her utensils into her pencil and makeup bags.

"Camera three will fluctuate between August and Sugar," Violet stated to a camera person. Her hand grazed over her cheeks and then down her neck.

"We've been ready to film since eleven this morning. Where's your heroine?" she questioned as she walked over towards me. Her hands were across her chest.

"She's stuck in traffic. She'll be here in five minutes." I lied.

I had no clue where Sugar was. After three phone call attempts and five quick response texts, I knew I had to wait. The palm of my hands sweated, I kept wiping them on my denim jeans.

She's not coming.

With the TrueMatch messages and I obtained Sugar's phone number, I believed we were moving a step forward. I bit my bottom lip.