Chapter 6

I wake up to the sound of someone calling my name and my head starts pounding immediately. The pain in my ribs and throat stings before the memories and I am reminded of the pit where I fought Michael.

How long has it been since then?

I squint my eyes at the blinding white light that is making my headache worse.

Where am I?

"Wake up, Aria. It's time to get ready," I hear a voice in the distance and turn my head to its source.

The slight movement sends a bolt of pain down my side and I wince. I clench my teeth and attempt to sit up only to be pushed back down again.

"She's in too much pain. She won't be able to make it tonight if you don't give her more painkillers," A female voice snaps.

Whoever she is, she is right. My stomach feels like it's been twisted and squeezed like a wet towel and my head is pounding so hard I can hear it in my ears.

I open my eyes slowly and focus on the figure by my bed. After blinking a few times I see a young woman with dark hair tied neatly in a bun. Her features are sharp, with a small pointy nose and dark almond shaped eyes that stare pointedly at a nurse by my bed.

"If she's not presented tonight I'll be sure to inform your superiors why." Even her voice is sharp and commanding.

She notices I am awake and immediately turns my way. The bright lights illuminate her smooth olive skin making her look like a painting brought to life.

"Ah, you're finally awake. My apologies, I instructed them to speed up the process with drugs but you are going to need a higher dose of painkillers since we interrupted your recovery. You see we're rushing for time here and I really need to get you ready for tonight," Her knife edged tone switches to smooth velvet within seconds.

I try to sit up but I have to clutch my side which feels like it has been punctured by a knife.

"I would take it easy if I were you. You have severe bruising above your left rib and stomach. Michael really did a number on you but wow, you were amazing out there. I regret betting against you. Lost a good twenty coins on the match but I was so impressed."

Twenty coins? Did she mean gold coins? How did a human acquire enough gold coins to bet against me? Who is this person?

My head swirls and I begin to feel light headed. I watch the male nurse push out the contents of a syringe into the tube connected to my wrist.

"She's going to be dizzy the whole night," He grumbles and the beautiful woman by my side only scoffs in response.

"Everyone will be dizzy by the end of tonight. Whether it's by drugs or alcohol, it doesn't make a difference," She replies.

A wave of numbness envelopes my toes and then washes over the rest of my body. It takes the pain away with it and all I'm left with is a dull ache in my side.

"Okay Aria, I'm going to lift you up and you are going to walk with me out of here," She instructs. She stands up and pulls me to the edge of the bed.

"Ready?" She asks with bright eyes. I stare into them inquisitively. I do not know where she is taking me and I don't even know her.

"Who are you?" I blurt out in a dull voice thick with sleep.

She laughs softly at my reaction and holds her hand out to me.

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I'm Asta, maybe you'd remember me as three-two-zero-five. I joined the army as a trainee about five years ago."