Chapter 3.

Ralph: Simon knows?

Jack: Yes, but he's not upset... And he promised not to tell Piggy...

Ralph was being surprisingly calm about this. Almost like he already knew.

Ralph: Did you tell him?

Jack: No he just saw me bring you back...I didn't know he was watching...

Ralph: Why didn't you make sure? You know Simon wanders around at night to who knows where...

Jack: Well why do we meet up almost every night if that's such a big issue?

Ralph: He doesn't go near the mountain unless it's his turn to keep the fire going.

Jack: Ralph. Simon won't tell anyone.

Ralph was about to say something but was cut off.

Jack: He said he's okay with our relationship... and he promised not to tell anyone... hell he said it wasn't a big deal that we're together...—

Ralph: Jack. I already knew Simon would be okay with it... and I had a feeling he found out for a while...

Jack: You did?

Ralph nodded.

Ralph: Simon's a very sensitive and compassionate person, he tends to think of you like he does every other boy... and like I said before he wanders around at night... figured it would be inevitable...

Jack: So, you're not upset?

Ralph shook his head.

Ralph: As long as I have time to figure out how I should tell Piggy...

Jack: Alright...

Ralph cuddled up to Jack before looking up at him questioningly.

Ralph: Wait so... Simon was the one to give you that sleep warning...? You didn't come up with that?

Jack: I'd already figured that we ought to get more rest. You and I are both exhausted. And you and I both know that.

Ralph looked at the ground.

Jack: Simon actually seemed a little hurt that you thought he'd look down on you... you know he wouldn't do that...

Ralph: I never thought he'd be upset... now I feel bad I made him feel like that...

Jack: Don't be... you can talk to him later about it...

Ralph suddenly sat up.

Ralph: Wait... what about everyone else? They'll get upset if we don't-

Jack: Ralph, Piggy's taking your role for now, either Roger or Maurice is leading the hunters... we have plenty of time to sleep...

Ralph sighed and laid back into Jack's arms. Soon enough both were asleep again.
Three Months Later
Ralph: Jack n-no...! We can't...

Jack: Ralph please... You can't let everyone else dictate your life!

Ralph: Hanging out in secret is one thing, but getting married is a whole other deal...

Jack: Well they'd just have to suck it up! If they really care about you, they wouldn't put their opinions over your happiness! I'm sure they ought to dislike the idea of another Romeo and Juliet...

Ralph paused to give him an humorously unamused stare.

Ralph: Really? Using Shakespeare to back this up? Why not toss in a Hamlet reference, Mr C sharp?

Jack: Ralph seriously-

Ralph: Seriously what?

Jack: Think about it. You've already sacrificed a lot for everyone else. Right now all you're thinking about is what everyone else wants. What about you?!

Ralph: Jack... don't make this more difficult...

Jack: Ralph please... just think about it... why were you hanging out with me in the first place if you're that scared...?

Ralph looked down trying not to cry. Jack gently squeezed his hand.

Jack: No need to answer immediately... take as much time as you need okay...? No pressure, this is your decision...

Ralph slowly nodded. Ralph felt like hanging out and getting married were two completely separate things. But really, on the island... were they...? The two went to bed later.

Ralph wasn't able to sleep thinking about it. Part of him couldn't understand why this was such a big deal to him. The other part still feared his father's reaction. Ralph shivered, covering his arms and trying to pretend Jack was there even though he wasn't. Ralph tried not to cry but failed.

He felt himself getting curled in a ball trying to comfort himself, also failing. Then instantly his brain agreed on the choice, his choice. Ralph got up and looked around the other huts for Jack, trying not to wake anyone. Eventually Ralph found him asleep facing the wall of the hut. In between the wall and Jack was a decently sized space. If you wanted to be spaced from Jack and the wall, it would be very uncomfortable.

But for Ralph the spot looked perfect. He carefully walked over to the spot and laid down close to Jack. Ralph felt one of Jack's arms pulling him to his chest. Ralph looked up at Jack. He was still sleeping. Ralph smiled, gently kissing Jack's cheek he fell asleep easily.

Ralph: "Yes."
The Next Day
Ralph woke up in Jack's arms, he smiled gently kissing the red-head's cheek. Soon enough Jack woke up as well, surprised to see Ralph.

Jack: Ralph?

Ralph smiled up at Jack.

Ralph: Yes.

Jack: Huh?

Suddenly Jack found himself getting crushed with a hug.

Ralph: Yes. Yes. Yes Jack I will marry you...!

Jack smiled and hugged Ralph back.

Jack: Should we start planning?

Ralph nodded grinning.

Ralph: How are we going to do it though...? The wedding I mean... we might not have any witnesses... and we don't have much stuff to reference so we're official...

Jack thought.

Jack: I do know how to make ring type objects out of plants... and we could use the conch for reference...

Ralph: Jack, they're going to get worried if the conch disappears...

Jack: Well, not if everyone's asleep, and I think we both know who could marry us...

Ralph suddenly laughed.

Ralph: Simon... would he want to do it though...?

Jack: Well he's the only one who knows about us right now... either we tell a couple more people just for the witness and marrying parts, or we do something else...

Ralph: I think we can figure it out...

Jack and Ralph smile at each other and lean in for a gentle kiss on the lips.