13. The Reason

Heart hammering against her ribs, Mansi waited for Amit to continue. He looked lost like he was in some deep thought. Maybe he was contemplating telling her or not. As she saw the look in his eyes change, she braced herself for the worse. Was Amit cheating on her? Does he want to leave her? A million questions ran through her brain and it was hard for her to keep still. Amit took a deep breath and looked at her. He was amazed by Mansi's determination to help him through whatever he was going through even after the way he treated her. Amit knew that she deserved to know the matter but he did not want her to think that he was incompetent, that he couldn't even do a small task perfectly.

Amit got up and started pacing the room. Mansi followed his movement with her eyes. She could see the trouble etched on his face, he did not know how to start or rather where to start from?

"It's...It's all over Mansi !!" Amit finally said. Mansi just held her breath and let him continue, "My...my first project is gone! I don't know what will happen when they know that I failed, they will throw me out!"

The word 'shock' cannot even begin to describe what Mansi felt that moment. 'What is he talking about?' This was the thought that was running on repeat through Mansi's numb brain.

"Last week there was a small party during lunch for celebrating someone's birthday and we had been working in the lunchroom because we needed space and the lunchroom was unoccupied. The...The people were spraying the birthday boy with water and soda and soft drinks and what not and the liquid fell on one of my colleagues' laptop destroying it completely. He had all the reports that we had come up with after analyzing the data that everyone had been collecting since the past six months, even before I had joined the company and now it's all gone. We have been sitting together all day every day for the past couple of days but we haven't been able to come up with any of the lost reports. We have three more days before the presentation before the client and no one knows what we are going to do about it."

Relief washed over Mansi and her first reaction was a nervous laugh. She started laughing nervously and slowly it turned into a full-fledged hysteric laughter. She couldn't stop. Tears started brimming her eyes, the tears of relief. What all had she been expecting! This was nothing to what she had been thinking.

Amit looked at Mansi and was confused to see her reaction. Was she laughing at him, laughing at him for being so careless? Did she not understand the seriousness of the situation? He can lose his job over this matter, he was still in his probationary period at the office.

It took some time but Mansi finally calmed down and the first thing that she did was that she rushed towards Amit and wrapped her arms around him. Amit was shocked by this but his hands wrapped around her too. 

"Oh Amit, you have no idea how happy I am right now," Mansi said. "I had been so worried about you, I had been thinking the worse things possible. I can't even begin to tell you..." Mansi started crying. Amit still did not completely understand her reaction but he did understand that his behaviour had affected Mansi too. He could notice her tired eyes and it looked like she had lost some weight. He felt guilty, he thought he was doing it for the best but apparently he was wrong.

After a while, they both calmed down and Amit saw a strange glint in Mansi's eyes. He did not know what it was for but she looked determined.

Mansi had never been a quitter and she was not about to let Amit lose out on one of the biggest opportunities that he had gotten till now. She had a plan and she was sure it would work out but even if it didn't, what did they have to lose!

"Amit, can you give me access to all the research material that you have?" Mansi broke the silence. Amit was confused.

"Amit, please trust me on this. Give me access to all the documents and invite all of your team for dinner. I am hoping that this much time would be sufficient for me to go through the work and formulate an appropriate action plan. If everything works out and your team cooperates, we will have your reports and the presentation ready before your scheduled date!"

***********

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE !!