Journal Entry: 'A Game-world of Life'

Prof. Ben Fielding Development Journal
Entry 401: FOUNTELLION in THE SPIRAL

I cannot see the future, but I can see many possibilities, and above all it's these I would like to say a little about, here and now, in case I may be distracted by my own projects, and become narrowed by them.

My team, of talented, dedicated individuals, works intensively around me, here in the seclusion of the Division. Of course they are inspired by interfaces, by new things, by technologies and by the control of sound and form. Their eyes light up, even amidst our many, long testing sessions.

But where our project may seem like only another large-scale entertainment project, hidden within it lies a big idea: Affinity and re-connection with Nature – the ultimate source; the awakening fabric. A force which all of us strive to be immersed in; to be near; to ride and feel a mastery of; to understand, and, of course, to plunder, ideally, for our survival - but without harming it. 

However, it is a fabric that I suspect the majority of busy people – beyond my fellow scientists in the fields of virtual development, evolution, geography, mathematics – still do not understand much of – especially in its own language. 

A fool sees not the same tree a wise man sees...

Well this can change... 

At this time, we know we have constructed a new and potent medium for accessing alternative worlds, and a platform for building and interacting with these cyber-worlds and virtual experiences. 

Hopefully, they are, in just a few, or in many ways, complementary to people's natures, and to nature itself - our Source. 

(And those which are not, can become as we have seen – the cause of many internal and external problems.)

But not only this. We'd like to think we can now begin to offer people - players, of all types - a way... out of themselves, and back into Nature, in a sense... The sense of what we have (re)-represented, thanks largely to earlier and ongoing (scientific) research. 

Indeed, we are now nearing 'completion' of a world; an experience; which – at its most successful – aims to provide some sanctuary and appreciation for this old, fundamental world... 

Fountellion Island.

There are extensive  aspects we are working which, on some days, we feel we may never complete, because it would be impossible... or else, they may only reach completion once updates are applied at some later time (with enough users on board, active within the 'live service plan'.) Some are more a case of requiring intervention or stemming, because they have evolved in ways we never expected, and to let them continue might hinder the more human game-play progression 'arc'.

These features include:

- Artificial Life: a delicate balance of organisms within the island fabric will change over time in accordance with evolution-related settings. The plant life will also grow and change uniquely. Species can change and adapt.

- Player powers: Transformation. The major power allows for most species to be 'inhabited' for periods of time, including the larger animals such as birds, cats and wolves. These unique perspectives will influence greatly the player's perspective of 'life' through how these animals see and survive the world. An awareness of predator-prey relationships will be needed to 'play' for masterful periods as these creatures.

- Focus mode: a unique interface-based skill of avatar control that involves floating, leaping and eventual flight within the game in accordance with energy levels and brainwave 'thought' harnessing.

- Collaboration and communication: these will also be powers related to spoken word between other players which again, will impact the survival chances of the player and appreciate the learning of words as occurred vitally in our species evolution. This may result in the formation of strong player friendships.

- Insights/virtual visions: these must be uncovered or achieved by the player, relating to an original, mystical/spiritual human-related 'quest' or theme that exists within the symbols of the island.

- Responsive environment: the island is alive and the player is intimately connected to it from the first moment a player is 'born' into the game world and its flow of energy.

Since we first began implementing variables our own appreciation of the interrelationship of life and death has changed immensely – as much as we hope it will our hardy testers, or pioneers, as they shall be known. Meanwhile, the observation of emergent behavior and changes in the fabric is a continual process.

I hope we will complete this in order for these elements to interact within a fully stable, ecological balance that may operate independent of any human intervention or adjustment. However, as with any 'living' chaotic system there may always be... unforeseen adaptations or behaviours. Environmental and seasonal cycles are a key factor in affecting change and growth. However, these are such wild, groundbreaking features I cannot see how the game can fail to attract the required level of interest so that we can continue working to adjust them while players experience the more human aspects of the game.

And so I hope you, too, shall find yourself (back) in Fountellion one day...

For it is here that we wish to truly demonstrate the extent of our interface, by applying it; tethering it; to a fitting tribute to, and reflection of, the mystical power of the Source itself. I do not yet know the full effects, of even our own, rapidly emerging technology.. I worry that the interface is too powerful and that it makes the Spiral worlds too potent in turn. If it be anything it will be this that will lead people to subvert our intentions, to create shadows that keep people away from the truer sun.

And this is why my hopes lie mostly now in Fountellion. That by revealing the wonders of our real world, we will never forget our closeness to it, our connection, our belonging to it and the vanity of all else...

So I say this unto the world and to those players already attuned to the many worlds growing in The Spiral: 

Stand by...