31 | Master of Leaving Early

I THANKED THE low lights where we were standing because I was, undoubtedly, as red as a tomato. Heat was creeping up the back of my neck, too, giving me a tickling sensation.

"Thank you," I told him. "You have Autumn to thank, though."

"My sister's good with that sort of thing, yes, but she can't make just anyone look the way you look now."

A waiter came up to us, then. I was glad for it, able to bypass what Archer had said. He lowered his tray from his shoulder so that we could see its contents. I picked up a small shoot of champagne, but Archer shook his head, and the tray of drinks disappeared in the crowd, likely to shortly be rid of each glass.

"I'm going to find Miles," I told him. He nodded and pulled me towards him. Our faces were so close I swear I forgot to breathe, or how to, or what breathing even is. My eyes fluttered shut on their own accord until I felt his cheek against mine and the ghost of his lips on my skin.

"I'll see you later, then," he said, able to make his way through people with ease.

I tried to collect myself a little before I started moving again, in hopes to be able to actually put one foot in front of the other. But with each attempt, all I could smell, was him.

***

Miles was in a corner when I finally found him, Melanie there too. They were talking between each other, laughing together.

"Hey," I said, coming up behind him.

The atmosphere seemed to change slightly as they ceased laughing almost completely.

"Hey," they each said.

"You both look nice," I told them because they did. Melanie was wearing a flowing gold dress that hugged her in all the right places and complimented her skin so perfectly, she looked like she was glowing. An actual goddess. Miles looked equally as good, his tall, lanky frame covered in a plumb suit that actually fit very well. "Is something wrong?"

"Well, we thought we were all getting ready together but not to worry, hey?" Melanie said, never one to beat around the bush.

"Oh, I thought I'd told you, Autumn said she'd help me out."

"Of course she did."

"Hey, Jolie!" Piper said, coming up to us with her hands filled with drinks. "Oh I didn't get you any champagne."

"No worries, nicked one earlier," I said, holding up my still full glass with a smile.

We stayed talking for a little while, but that tenseness was still prominent.

"Are you coming to the gallery?" Melanie asked me at last.

I stared at her. "Gallery?"

Miles scoffed, and raised his glass to his lips, clearly trying not to say anything.

"The one that's hosting Miles's work," she said as though it was obvious.

I was still confus— oh, right. That one that Miles had been obsessing over about. He'd told me about it when we'd snuck out to our secret place in the dead of night. It hadn't been that long ago, but it felt like years had passed.