New Years (V.H)

December 31st, 1954. 11:32 pm, The Winter household

"Come on, Vi! One shot!" Justin hands me a glass.

"No thanks," I shake my head. "I'm already pretty not sober,"

"One shot! It's your last new years of high school! C'mon!"

I look to Buddy.

"I'll take one if you do," he smiles.

"Deal!" I grin.

Justin hands Buddy one.

"One," I count.

"Two," Buddy replies.

"Three!" We both say as we down the liquor.

"Oh god, Justin do you have a chaser?!" Buddy coughs.

Justin shakes his head. "Nah, deal with it!"

"That was straight vodka!" Buddy frowns.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"You sneak,"

"What else is a clear liquid that I would hand you in a shot glass?"

"I dunno, oh Jesus I need some punch or somethin'," Buddy walks away, still coughing.

I giggle. "Can't take vodka!"

"You, Violet, are ridiculous. You know that?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Why?"

"You take straight vodka shots and don't even bat an eye, it's ridiculous. You can handle your liquor,"

I nod. "Yeah, I know, it's getting out of hand,"

"Why?"

"I can't function unless I'm tipsy," I laugh. "I'm going to quit drinking in the new year,"

"Fair enough," Justin smiles as he runs a hand through his jet black hair. "Let me know if you need help, I'll always help, no problem,"

"Thanks, Justin. You're really like a brother to me. I mean, I'd say like the brother I never had, but Vincent is a thing,"

"Vincent is the only reason we know eachother," he grins. "I don't think I woulda met you if he wasn't in the picture,"

I shrug. "You know Buddy,"

"Yeah, I've known him since we were five. He's always been talented. Can I tell you something?"

"Go ahead,"

He leans in. "I've always been jealous of him..." he says quietly.

"What's that?"

"He's always been so naturally talented, you know? He's always gotten so much attention and I wish I had that,"

"I understand,"

"He's always had a way with girls, too. It's ridiculous. Always had his pick,"

"Wait, I think Adalyn and I talked about this. She said he's had his pick and I should be lucky that he picked me,"

"Well Vi, it's true. I remember girls arguing about who got to sit next to him on the bus. We all used to live out of the city lines, actually."

"Really? Why?"

"Yeah, most people at Lubbock High used to or still do live out there. It was the great depression and it was way cheaper to live outside of the city. It was a 45 minute bus ride from our bus stop to the schools. Buddy used to bring his guitar and he'd play and sing,"