2

Riley sat by the window, the place where she often liked to be lost with her thoughts. The heavy droplets beat against the window, seemingly in sync with her poignant heart. The world seemed to live on unfazed; she was the only anomaly in sight. She soon got up from the windowsill, wiping a tear from her cheek, as she strode on to go for a long nap.

The Soviets called it the final frontier, and for good reason too; the journey ahead would no doubt, be perilous. But it gave her purpose, something that had been lacking for quite a while in her life.

As she got onto the bed she'd sleep on for the last time, a wave of emotions washed over her; twenty-six years she'd existed on this dirt-ball, and yet in a fraction of a heartbeat of the universe she'd leave the only home she knew. And though, over the course of her life she had yearned to leave these people, now an intangible bond began to show itself.

Riley had no reason to feel attached to these people; they had been anything but kind to her. Yet now, Riley felt a strange bond with the faceless husks of people in society, with the dust that chocked the world, with the air too polluted to breathe without masks.

She decided to thrust aside her feelings (one would have enough time for that in space) to have one last nap among the dirt, before she had to plunge for the stars.