Chapter 1

Writer's Note- This story is (was) an entrant for the open novella contest.  I chose the family heirloom prompt. Thanks for reading :)

Writer's Note #2 (July 14) — As of July 12 this story is completed, so it's all here. I may or may not go back and edit for continuity, grammar and incorrect dialogue tags so excuse the mess.

This story is inspired by a short story I wrote called 'Xander & Achilles' but you don't need to read that short story to understand and follow this one. Save yourself the trouble.

Also, thanks for opening up and checking out the story. Hope you enjoy!

-RM

#

I finally understood what being  struck by lightening felt like. Hit by something so suddenly and inexplicably it could only be a once in a lifetime sensation.

But, for me it was a voice. One that thundered into and through me in a heartbeat, rendering me simultaneously lost and found.

#

The bar was lowly lit, intimate dark corners shaped by a smattering of tables. The place was tiny but packed, the dark furniture blending into the dimness. Something about going to a gay bar made me want to pretend I wasn't really there. The darker the better.

I'd been knocking back drinks for an hour or so, watching a basketball game I didn't really care about. The bartender left me alone and I liked it that way. This was my ridiculous routine. The urge would get too strong and I'd have to go out and satisfy my desires.

There seemed to be some kind of open mic night and most of the guys hadn't been great, a comedian, and far too many singers. Most of the crowd talked over the singers, interested in gathering another kind of entertainment tonight. And, that's when I heard him.

His voice was deep and hoarse, instantly memorable, and filling my stomach with unease. I turned in my stool to watch him as he sung a trashy pop song, turning it into something emotional and unique. My heart nearly burst out of my chest when he finished and the place dropped into silence. And then thundering applause, followed by his shy expectant smile. Even then I could tell he was kind of arrogant, he knew he was good and that kind of confidence was always hot. Once I realized I wanted him, that's when I really started drinking. Trying to wash down this terrible need.

But even then I watched him through the corner of my eye, seeing a lot of guys approach him, but none of them talking to him for long. The bar was full of humans and of course they didn't know they were cruising a vampire.

#

"I'm not that drunk." I slurred, leaning heavily against the guy helping me into my apartment. He was stronger than he looked, just a few inches taller than me but a lot more slender. His arm was slung across the back of my waist, fingers pressed into my shirt. "What's your name, again?" I turned my face into his neck, taking a moment to inhale deeply. The booze made it so easy to do what I wanted, inhibitions gone to the wind. That's the one thing I loved about being drunk, all the shame, the guilt, the humiliation...It all came later.

The man gave a long dramatic sigh. "It's not important."

He helped me into my living room, guiding me into a seat and making his way to my kitchen. Living alone at twenty-seven wasn't unexpected but I was proud of my home. It was a spacious open floor plan modern unit, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. When I invited people over they didn't always like the monochromatic grey and off white theme but I found the pale colours calming. I lived on prime real estate and as a commercial architect I could afford it.