Twenty-Five

Twenty-Five

"The idea of a destined mate is ridiculous. Tethering yourself to another Ace only cripples."

-Frank Leighton, journal entry, found in the previous Leighton residence

A conversation picked up from a burner phone...

"What's your status?"

"Working on it."

"Unacceptable. Your infiltration was for this moment."

"I understand. That doesn't mean I'm ready to throw it all away. There is more to learn."

"I will not sit here and twiddle my thumbs while you learn more. It's been almost a year. If you have not learned enough yet, then you never will."

[A muted cough over the line] "If I throw everything out now, just for one subject—"

"Not one subject! The subject! Are you an imbecile?"

"You're not thinking long term—"

"I am thinking about our goal! Something you've lost sight of. Either you complete your mission now, or I will take matters into my own hands. We need to strike while they are distracted."

"Which reminds me—a bomb? Really?"

"I did not bring you onto my team for you to question my decisions."

"And I didn't join the cause so you could get distracted by some pathetic copycat."

[Silence over the line]

"Collect the subject. You have three hours."

[A sigh] "Yes, sir."

☙♡❧

Wes played absentmindedly with my short locks, his fingers soft against my scalp. I tried not to fall asleep at the soothing action. Between that and the warmth of his body at my back, I was more than comfortable.

Last night we'd gone over to his room (which, surprise, surprise, was one hallway down from his office in the underground facility) and talked. Mostly about the past, the incident, and everything since. Eventually I'd fallen asleep, curled in his arms.

A fact that, at this moment, made my heart heat. In the past, Wes had been the only person I'd ever been comfortable enough to sleep with. Both literally and figuratively. It was nice to know that even if my brain was a mess, even if I made mistakes or did stupid shit, that somewhere deep down I'd still felt safe with him.

Once this mission was over—

I cut myself off. No, right now it was already over.

I wasn't sure what that meant for my deal with Leonger. Would the check be forfeit? Would I still have to work in the Initiative? It wasn't my fault the mission wasn't completed. We'd been kicked off of it. But I didn't know this new Commander Leonger well enough to predict if he'd let me out of my contract or if he was a stickler for the rules.

A part of me hoped he would let me out. I could still go off, maybe do some random part-time job or two and start saving for a cabin somewhere where property values were cheap. And Wes—I traced the arrow Acemark along his forearm wrapped around my waist and felt him shudder—well, maybe he'd like to come with me.