Lark's Story

Hi everyone!

       So I haven't updated in a while, and I wanted to explain the reason... I'm not sure this story works. I absolutely love my concept and characters, but when I was writing chapter seven from a different characters POV I realized that bringing you into the world of Refuge would make a lot more sense if I started three years before Cassie's story began.

      Don't worry, all the main characters will return, and this storyline will play out, just further down the road. So, here's your first look inside Cassie's older sister Ashlyn's head. 

~~

 I loosened the straps on my violin case to pull it over my shoulders as I walked as quickly as I could. My tote bag carrying my music nearly slipped off my arm as I came to a sudden stop at an intersection. A few seconds ago, I hadn't even known it was there. That was something mom was always on me about, after the time we were walking to one of my art classes and I had stepped out into the middle of the road, apparently. I hadn't really noticed. There had been a bird flying above, and the way the sun hit it made it almost sparkle. It would've been really cool to paint.

But anyway, I guess not getting hit by a car is more important.

Glancing to my left, I saw a girl a few years younger than me, maybe ten or eleven, looking up at me. I smiled at her and then cringed inwardly. That wasn't too weird, was it? That was for sure too weird... She probably thinks I'm some sort of creep now.

She grinned and then pointed at my bag. "That's a very pretty drawing on the bag. Where'd you get it?"

I glanced down at my bag. It had been plain and boring when my parents had got it for me, but now it was covered in painted illustrations of overlapping flowers.

"I made it," I replied, feeling a sense of pride wash over me. It was by far my favourite bag, and the ten hours I had spent making it were worth it. My mom, of course, hadn't seen it the same way, considering I had gotten a thirty-eight percent on a math test I could've spent my time studying for. But I was never going to do well, anyway.

Having a stranger notice my art meant more to me than a stupid grade on a test ever would.

"Wow." The girl's eyes were wide. "I hope one day I can draw like that."

"Just keep practicing," I said. "I know you'll get there."

The light changed, and me and the girl went our separate ways. But the warm, fuzzy feeling followed me all the way home.

It didn't last long.

~~

Be on the lookout for updates about this story!