Chapter 19

Kass

My feet hit the ground, jarring my arm—pain shoots up my shoulder, but there's no time to dwell. We've teleported into a square courtyard centred between four dull, domed buildings, and in the middle, a blue flag flickers innocently by the door of what appears to be a small warehouse.

The capsule must be inside. It has to be.

The strength of the hurricane is incredible, unimaginable—our group is instantly blown apart. I fly backwards, my specially-designed boots no match for these winds, and smack into the front of the warehouse. The winds slam against me, trying to force me even further back, but with the warehouse in the way, I've got nowhere to go.

My breath is forced out in wheezing chokes as I'm crushed—I press my hands against the warehouse wall, concentrating as hard as I can.

White heat flares through my fingers and a crack splinters the concrete. With a crunch, the concrete shifts, moulding around my wrist, sealing itself, holding me in place.

I look around wildly for Dimitrov. 'Dimi, grab on!'

Dimitrov's had time to learn this trick of mine. The enormous man skids past me, struggling to stay upright; I reach out with my other hand and he grabs hold, clambering over me like I'm a climbing frame and clinging on around my waist.

'God help us, Kass—'

We're surrounded by Futurist soldiers. Somehow, they're staying upright, and each one is pointing a gun at us. Schneider's body lies lifeless on the ground, rolling over in the wind, blood staining his path. The bodies of his soldiers are similarly scattered.

A Futurist commander, recognisable in his lurid blue armour, raises a fist into the air.

'FIRE!'

Sammi steps forwards. And the air explodes.

*

I don't know what the hell is happening. The winds around Sammi are twisting, or constricting, and all of a sudden this huge mass of what looks like thickened air wraps itself around us. Sammi's balaclava has been blown off; her hair streaks freely in wild tendrils, standing on end—the wind its extension, spinning so fast, it makes my eyes water. It seems so solid. I let my concrete grip crumble, and find that I can move again. Inside Sammi's wind cocoon, the hurricanes can't touch us.

I stroke the side of the cocoon nearest me, and my hand slips through. I withdraw it quick as bullets hit and trickle down the sides; even though it's not really solid, the wind bubble is so dense that the bullets bounce off like rain.

A hellish rain, but rain nonetheless.

'GO!' Sammi screams as another shower of bullets ricochets off the sides. She glances over her shoulder at us, her expression so determined, so intense, that I'm momentarily stunned. Stunned by her power. 'I don't know how long I can hold them for!'

'Go, go, go.' Paolera, with the true instincts of a captain, springs into action. Dimitrov lets go of me and everyone pelts for the warehouse door. Rai reaches it first, and it clanks as he pushes.

'It's locked.'

Dimitrov swears, banging his huge fist against it.

'Oh, move out the way.' Brie shoulders Rai aside and inserts something long and thin into the lock. A spark, a burst of flame—then the inside of the lock blows. Brie kicks the door open with a smirk.

'Get in!' Paolera bellows as Brie and her team hurry inside—but I stay by the door, my fingers tightening around Rai's wrist. He hesitates too.

'But,' I say slowly. 'What about Sammi?'