Chapter 6

Tasha's POV:

Tessa was once more flapping her wings hard, although the flaps were closer to a backwinging or exercise flap as opposed to a take-off wingbeat. Dirk had his wings spread, but he was sunbathing under the heat lamp without any of the energy Tessa was showing.

I also knew what had triggered the change. Tessa had seen the sun rise – and once a dragonet saw it, they could feel the Morning Song. It changed us, and we could always feel the sunrise and the call of the Morning Song after that. It created a drive in us; without the Morning Song, we fell into a depression. I had one brush with that depression when Taureen had first taken me in with my broken wing.

Until that point, none of the dragonets had realized exactly what would happen if a dragonet didn't see the sun rise for an extended period of time. A few days or even a week weren't serious, but longer periods of time held a hidden danger where a lethargic depression crept in. I wasn't entirely sure if Taureen realized it, but I suspected that it hadn't slipped past his keen observation skills.

In a way, I was glad that Tessa was starting to strengthen her wings. Most youngsters made their first attempts at flight around day five, and it was already day four. Their growth rate was actually a bit ahead of the norm – likely due to the plentiful and nutritious fruit, but their walking and flight attempts were about a day behind. I wasn't overly worried, but it was something to keep an eye on and note for the future.

I had a long conversation with Drake this morning, and both of us came to the conclusion that it was because Tessa and Dirk hadn't seen the rising sun earlier. In the park, the youngsters usually saw the sunrise during their first day or two and felt the draw of the Morning Song.

The faint banging sounds from the back of the house were from Taureen completing the last of the renovations that he had been working on. The noise also distracted Tessa, who decided to get a snack from a bowl of fruit. They were mostly feeding themselves now, which was a relief for anyone who liked to sleep more than an hour at a time.

She started walking back to the nest before pausing and eyeing up her brother. I knew what was coming and simply watched in amusement. With a surprisingly coordinated leap, she pounced on her brother, who squalled his surprise and unhappiness. It immediately turned into a wrestling match that rolled around the nest.

I wasn't about to break it up while it was just play, either. It was increasing their strength, stamina, coordination, and reflexes. They were still clumsy nestlings, but they were already a far cry from bumbling hatchlings that could barely even stand on their own power. Their development wasn't going to slow down much until they were half my size, which would only take a few months. By the end of their first year, they would be almost as big as Keegan or me.

They were growing up right in front of my eyes, and they would basically be young adults by their first birthday, although it would take at least another four years before they were fully grown.

With that thought, I swooped down to join in the game for a bit of fun while they were still so small and cute.

Tessa's POV:

Mom curled her tail around her feet patiently as she asked more strange questions, "If I say New York, what do you think?"

I was confused by her question, although the hidden knowledge showed me a strange, smelly place. I replied, "Gone, like all human places are."

Dad tilted his head, also intent on this conversation. "There was a well-known fountain in one of the parks in that city, near the city hall. Do you know which one?"