Chapter 6 - Shame and Sorrow

"This is no witch" Aragorn spoke "I have seen this face before" he said softly as he brushed his hand across her cheek. "She is from Rohan, she is missing and her people have been out searching for her these past days".

Legolas eyed her suspiciously, if she was not a witch then who was she? maybe it is a trick, he wasn't sure "Aragon, we do not know for certain that she is not a witch" his head contradicting what he felt in in his heart as he remembered how he reacted when he heard her voice the night before.

Aragorn paid no attention to his suspicion "Legolas she is injured" he said as he moved the edge of the cloak away from her shoulder to reveal a deep cut at the top of her arm. The wound above her eye was not as deep but she had taken a hefty blow. She began to stir. She moved her hand towards the pain in her head but Aragorn intercepted it and placed it gently by her side as he brushed his fingers across her bruised forehead.

"Open your eyes my lady" He said tenderly.

Legolas watched as she lifted her eyelids to reveal deep brown eyes, they were as dark as the night but soft and friendly and her long lashes fluttered as she blinked away tears. The rims of her eyes were red from crying, she turned to look at Legolas searching his expression, but he turned away from her no longer able to look, guilt rendering him speechless at her sorry state.

Legolas stood up and walked away, returning to the remaining elves who were gathering the injured onto horses, he spoke to them in elvish, telling them to head back to the castle to warn the king of the orcs. He told them he would continue on to Rivendell with the ranger and the woman, Aragorn helped Nicassius to sit up and leant her against a tree.

"Do not be afraid, I will not hurt you" he said "What is your name?"

She knew his face, and had seen him before when he had visited her people, she remembered his presence, and his rugged handsomeness, but they had never been formally introduced. "Nicassius" she replied.

"I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and this is Legolas of the woodland realm" he said as Legolas returned with some cloth and water from his saddle bag.

The elf bent down next to them, and handed Nicassius the skin of water "you must try to drink some" he ordered as he began to wrap the cloth around her wounded arm to stem the bleeding. Nicassius flinched as pain seared through her.

"You must forgive my elf friend my lady" Aragorn said "it's not everyday he mistakes a beautiful woman for a witch".

Legolas shot him a foul look.

"It is good to see you my friend" Aragorn laughed.

"We must get her to Rivendell, we cannot linger here" Legolas retorted and Aragorn nodded in agreement as they both helped her to her feet.

Aragorn whistled to his horse who came out from the trees."She can ride with you Legolas, it will help you to get over your witch phobia" he teased.

Legolas gave him another stern look as he mounted his horse, he was so nimble and quick and moved as though he was as light as a feather, he trotted slowly towards Nicassius and put his hand down gesturing for her to jump up, her stiff weary body would not allow her to climb so nimbly aboard, and as she feebly stepped towards him she felt the strong arms of Aragorn sweep her up and place her in front of Legolas on his horse, she sat side saddle and awkwardly leaned forward as she tensed up. He took hold of her shoulders to straighten her, like she was a child learning to ride for the first time, and he pulled her in securely towards his chest as he wrapped his arms around her to take hold of the reins.

"Try to keep up my friend" he teased back at Aragorn and he turned the horse and they sped off.

Nicassius held on tight as they raced away, Aragorn following close behind, she could feel Legolas's heart beating fast as she lent against him for support, they rode on at speed for a while, she suspected they were moving quickly to put some distance between themselves and the Orcs who they feared may still return. Finally they slowed down to a trot. Aragorn rode a few paces ahead, Legolas dropped behind slightly until he was out of earshot.

"I am sorry you got hurt" He said to her, "Are you in much pain?".

"I will be fine" she whispered back weakly.

"You must try to rest" he ordered.

She did not care much for his authoritative tone but she did not reply, her eyes began to close as tiredness began to take hold of her and she felt his hand placing her head back into his shoulder to lean on it, he felt warm and soft and she drifted off to sleep in his arms breathing in the fresh earthy smell of his skin.