Chapter 14

Heavy droplets of rain camouflaged the hooded figure who slid between each shadow of the hanging lanterns.

With the help of the Master, Husaam had sneaked into the city unnoticed. Using the poorly lit back alleys of Balqaas, just like he had been advised, he had managed to slip under the surveillance of the nightguards that were patrolling the streets. If not for his almost healed wound, Husaam would have gone straight to the Palace. Instead, he would have to set up base and he knew just where. Following the map he received from the Master, Husaam followed the muddy path until the sign he was looking for came into view. In thick calligraphy, the word Motel was scrawled atop the building, lit by lanterns at each side of the sign. As he rounded the corner, Husaam could hear the many voices of people inside and the sounds of cutlery against plates.

A backdoor with a small shelter above it came into view, and he waited patiently by its shadow for the moment it would open. It wasn't a minute later when the door swung open to reveal a young woman holding up a scarf to cover herself from the rain. He watched quietly as she stepped out with an almost full bowl in hand, grimacing when a few drops landed on her face.

Within the sharper features of her face, he recognised the girl from all those years back, though before him, now stood a woman. An odd sensation gripped his chest for a second, yet he ignored it before it robbed him of a chance.

Just as she took a step back, Husaam pounced out from the shadow and grabbed the woman by her arm, shutting the door behind her. He pulled her closer to him and wrapped a hand over her mouth before pinning her to the wall. The bowl dropped to the floor, but the sound was concealed by the clamour inside.

"Don't move or make a noise." He whispered into her ear, causing her to shudder but nod in obedience.

Husaam pulled back and glared into her shaking umber eyes. He felt oddly aware of how every curve of her body was pressed up against his. He slowly brought one hand up to his masked face and tugged the material down.

The girl froze.

Husaam moved his hands from her mouth shifting backwards slightly.

"Husaam," The girl stuttered, her voice smoother than he had imagined. "What are you-how did you get here?"

Her eyes began to well with tears and she reached out to touch his arm. "Do you know how long I've-"

"I need you to return the favour," he spat, pulling back before she could continue. "Provide me shelter here."

"Why? What happened, where did you come from?" She started, her brows creasing. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Rughad."

The woman pressed her trembling lips together. "It is my fault, isn't it?"

Husaam recalled that night, when they were nothing but naive children thinking they could run away to eternal freedom.

"I don't have time, I was followed." He lied.

She nodded her head and he almost laughed at how easy she had believed him.

"You will be safe here," The woman said  before turning back to the door and creaking it open. "The motel is a little busy tonight, but we can sneak past everyone to the backyard,"

Husaam nodded.

"The route is clear, let's go," She said and grabbed his arm.

A veil of warm air and voices greeted him, as the girl swiftly led them forward, ducking into corners when voices approached. Husaam was afraid that they would get caught easily - especially with his tall build but the woman was unexpectedly agile.