Chapter 47

Silence consumed the locker room. The only thing that was heard was the beating of three hearts that clashed together in a fast rhythm. I avoided looking at Hunter's face. I was too disgusted with the blood gushing from his nose and lips to look at him. I was disgusted with the way he acted more tonight.

Jax stood leaning against one of the lockers with a bloody lip, holding ice to it. The game had finished without them, leaving us to a victory. The school was empty except us and a couple of teachers and the coach that was in his office.

Neither of us had opened our mouths to say anything. I didn't know what to say that wouldn't possibly make this situation worse. I couldn't apologize because I did nothing wrong and I couldn't hug Hunter because what he did was wrong.

The tapping of my foot against the floor was starting to bother my ears so I came to a quick stop and stood up from the bench.

"Why?" I finally let out. "Just...why?"

Hunter took a deep breath in and looked down at the floor. He shrugged, continuing to clean his face.

"You don't know why you started a fight with Jax?" I question. "I told you I would never forgive you for this."

"Then don't." He glared at me. "Do you, Emma."

"Are you really mad at me right now?!" I raise my voice. "You just picked a fight with Jax in front of the whole school! You're both suspended for a week, Hunter!"

"How do you think it makes me feel seeing you screw my best friend, huh?!" Hunter stands up. "Tell me?! I can assure you it isn't pleasant."

"Dude, calm down." Jax jumps in.

"Don't fucking tell me to calm down." Hunter snaps. "You were supposed to be my best friend and what do you do? You screw my sister."

"Woah," I hold my hand up. "Nobody screwed anyone so stop saying that. You can't start a whole scene in front of the school because of Jax and I. You're acting so immature."

"Oh,  I'm the immature one." He mocks.

"Yeah, you are." I agree. "What would mom say?" I shake my head in disappointment.

"Mom's not here!" He gets in my face.

Once again we were left with an unpleasant silence. Hunter looked at me with eyes that held so much pain I wanted to reach out and hug him. 

Jax cleared his throat and excused himself so we could talk in peace. It was Hunter and I alone now as he sat on the bench with his head hanging low and his arms holding him for support.

"Hunter," I say in a low voice. He didn't move a muscle. "Hunter, look at me."

He stayed frozen, not daring to face me. I walked over to him and sat down, putting my hand on his knee.

"What's going on?" I put my other hand behind his back, rubbing circles around to calm him down.

Sobs filled the room as he broke down and used me for support. He laid his head on my lap and covered his face as his body was shaking from crying.

"Oh, God." I mutter. "Hunter, what's going on with you?"

"I just miss her, Emma." He cried.

Moms face appeared in my mind and my heart clenched in pain as I watched Hunter cry out.

"I don't know why I've been feeling her death so much more lately and then everything with you and Jax." He sat up. "It's all so sudden."

"It's okay to feel this way, Hunter." I look at him. "You were so much closer to her than dad and her birthday's two months away. I get it, but you can't take out your anger on Jax anymore. You have to stop that. You have to accept sooner or later that Jax and I are together."