19 - Karma's a B*tch! - pt. 6

Chapter Six Continued

"Are you okay?" He asks

"Yes."

I want to say no. I'd almost died tonight, but I figure he means physically. I motion towards Ari sleeping on my shoulder.

"Can you help me get her up into the car?"

Cameron looks at Ari then at me. Then in one swift motion, he picks her up in his arms, cradling her like a child. Ari is not a small girl. She is at least 5'9 and an athlete. I can't help but appreciated his show of strength. He is my knight in shining armor. And even in his oversized joggers and cotton shirt, I'm insanely attracted to him. And I might still be a little buzzed. It's hard to tell the difference when Cameron is around.   

I stand up and pick up our things. I double check to make sure I've got the three shoes and the shared purse. Then I approach the truck. Cameron has the passenger door open and is sliding Ari into the middle seat of the cabin. Before I can climb in, he grabs me and pulls me into a bear hug. He smells amazing, like Old Spice. It may be a gross thing to say but it's the same scent my dad wears, and I find it comforting and safe.

"Thank you," I say into his soft cotton shirt.

He rests his chin on the top of my head.

"Always."

And I know he means he will always be there for me. Warmth floods my veins and my heart melts. Words can't describe how much I love him. We haven't said the three little words but we don't have to. Our actions say it all.

We both get in the truck. I ask him to drive us back to his place because I don't know how Damien will react and it's an excuse to spend time with Cameron.

He asks why we are barefoot. I'm not ready to tell him about our run across the street. I tell him we couldn't walk in them and had taken them off. He doesn't further question my story. He looks over at me several times but never says anything.

Finally, I ask. "What?"

He pauses and I think he isn't going to answer. Then he says, "You two are dressed nice for a study night."