6. The Roof

I freeze. I don't recognize the voice, but I can tell it's male. I slowly turn around to face the person behind me.

Oh God. I can't believe this.

It's Cato.

"You?" I say shakily. "You're the person that left the note"?

"Yep, that's me," he says, stepping closer to me. What the hell is going on? Why on earth would he want to meet me?

"How did you get into my room?" I ask, still shocked from the whole thing.

"I have my ways," he answers, smirking, which makes me blush, as always. I roll my eyes. Ugh, that dumb smirk is so annoying, but I feel some other emotion that I can't really explain.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a wave of rage engulfs me. "What's wrong with you?" I say, glaring at him.

"What do you mean?" he says, confused.

"Why do you keep staring at me, and smirking and winking? Am I some kind of joke to you?"

"You don't know? Well, I guess you'll have to figure it out then," he replies.

"Excuse me!?" I raise my voice. Why am I yelling at him? Geez, calm down. "What do you mean 'figure it out'? Why can't you just tell me? I swear I'll kill you in that arena."

"Oh really? he says, with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"I'm serious!" I defend myself, "don't underestimate me."

"Do you want a hint?" he asks, edging closer to me. Seriously, what is up with him?

"Yes, please," I sigh.

Without any warning, he comes towards me, until we're inches away from each other. We stare into each other's eyes for a minute, my heart beating louder and faster with every second that passes and then he...

He kisses me.

What did just happen?

I pull away quickly, blushing hard, with a smile creeping up onto my face. I try to hide it, but too late.

He notices me hiding my enjoyment and smirks lightly. "You know now?" he asks.

"Yeah," I nod, still trying to suppress my smile, but finally giving up. "I never knew. I thought I was just a little game for you, that I was like prey that you'd hunt when the games begin."

"Well, I never knew I would get so serious about this. No offense, but when I first saw you, I thought you'd be an easy kill. But the more I saw you, the more my feelings got all mushy, which for me is not exactly normal. I'm sorry if I made you mad."

"It's fine," I say. I need to calm down a bit. My heart is still racing and I need to breathe. I turn around and head to the railing. I hear Cato's footsteps behind me and feel his strong arms wrap around my waist.

"And how do you feel?" he asks, resting his head on top of mine.

"I'm not sure. There's definitely something there, not gonna lie, but I don't think it's right to start something now, with the games and all."

"Maybe you're right, but it wouldn't hurt to enjoy the last few days we have, would it?" he says, placing a small kiss on my neck.

I think about this a little. Maybe he's right. There's a big chance both of us will be dead in the next few days, or at least I will, so why not have fun while we can? No one has to know. It could be our little secret.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I say, turning around to face him. His eyes glisten in the moonlight.

Before I know it, his lips are on mine again. It starts off gently. A sweet kiss that vibrates through my whole body. Then it continues to get more intense, as he's eager for more. He pulls me closer to him by my waist and I put my arms around his neck.

We don't seen to stop for a few minutes, but when we do, we're both out of breath. I look up into his eyes and smile at him. "Maybe this isn't so bad after all," I say.

He laughs softly, "Yeah, maybe not."

Wait, how long have we been here? "It's getting late, we should probably get some rest," I say.

"Ugh, you sound like my escort, Greeta," he says in a disgusted voice. I frown at him, but then we both start laughing.

We head to the door and quietly sneak down the stairs. We stop at the door labeled '3'.

"Um... Goodnight," I say nervously, smiling at him. He shakes his head a little, laughing and pulls me to him by the waist. He bites his lip while staring down at me and kisses me softly.

"Goodnight, Jeneah," he says, pulling away. I smile at him as he heads down the stairs. When I hear a door quietly close, I nearly jump in excitement. I can't believe he kissed me. Me. This is crazy. I feel like my heart is about to explode.

I quietly open the door. There's silence and darkness, so I guess no one's up. I tip toe back into my room. The clock on the bedside table says 1:43. It felt like I wasn't there for so long. But I should really go to bed now. I slip under the silky sheets of my bed. I toss and turn for a bit but finally manage to fall asleep.