Epilogue

EPILOGUE

First draft

The Archon stood in his chambers, his scaled hands linked behind his back as he looked outside the windows. A host of mechs and repair bots were working in the orbital shipyard, a fully automated facility that stretched for hundreds of miles. Technically, it was his duty to supervise the operations, but since the mechs rarely made mistakes, there was nothing for him to do. It was so boring that when the station's AI informed him that Yepiro, his advisor was requesting an audience, the Archon looked almost glad. Almost.

"Yepiro." He said without turning when the hatch behind him whispered open. "You've come."

Although they belonged to the same species, the Archon and the newcomer couldn't have been more different. The first was tall, muscular, his sheer size intimidating, while the second barely reached five feet in height. What really set them apart, however, were their implants. Unlike the Archon, Yepiro's limbs, eyes, pelvis and even part of his skull were mechanical. 

"Archon." Yepiro bowed slightly, a mechanical gesture formally perfect but devoid of any meaning.

 Maybe the Archon was used to it or he didn't care - whatever the case, he paid no attention to it. "How is she?"

"Alive," The Yepiro spoke quietly and slowly, his voice a bit unnatural as if he was forcing himself to do something he wasn't used to. "Unfortunately, the base has been destroyed."

"What else?" The Archon asked, his voice a bit hoarse.

"A Progenitor was there."

"So, that evolved ape...Gibson was right." The Archon said thoughtfully. "The Progenitor was the one responsible for the disturbance, I gather?"

"There is no definitive evidence," Yepiro replied. "but that appears to be the most likely scenario."

"I see." The Archon said in a grave pondering tone. "Is the Progenitor still alive?"

The Yepiro shook his head. "Negative, Archon."

The sudden silence was absolute and hovered for a long moment. Then the Archon cleared his throat.

"His suffering had ended." He said stoically. "Do you get anything useful from the base?"

"Negative, the facility was destroyed beyond repair. However, a few specimens may have survived."

The Archon frowned. "What makes you say that?" 

"Our instruments picked up some very unusual readings."

"Unusual, you say." The Archon mused. "How so?"

"Apologies, Archon. The data is inconclusive but..." Yepiro paused in a very rare moment of uncertainty. "some of our operators seem to think these readings may be indicative of link resonance."

The Archon was silent for a second, then he turned to look at Yepiro, his boredom fading.

"So those specimens may not be baseline humans." The Archon said quietly, and for the first time, his dull yellow eyes were glinting with a hint of interest. "Are they like her?"

"It's too soon to say." The Yepiro replied like a lifeless robot. "But it seems pretty unlikely."

"You're probably right." The Archon said dismissively, as he seemed to lose interest. "Try to find out, but do it quietly." He warned. "We do not want to attract any unwanted attention."

"As you wish." The Yepiro bowed again. "What about the Archnova? Do we bring her in?"

The Archon paused, his broad back stiffening. "...no." He replied after an overlong pause. "Leave her alone for the moment."

The Yepiero went unnaturally still, but on his thin lips there was a trace of displeasure. "We should at least keep her under observation."

The Archon narrowed his eyes. "We already have someone close to her."

"Forgive me if I'm overstepping, Archon, but I think that leaving the surveillance to your...asset would be a mistake." Yepiro spoke in a monotone, but there was a tiny hint of criticism in his voice. "There are many among us who believe that a human agent cannot be trusted."

"And you seem to agree with them." The Archon's tone was deceptively calm, but his eyes were challenging Yepiro to contradict him.

Yepiro remained silent, his angular features impassive before the Archon's scrutiny.

After a second or two the Archon sighed and shook his head in mock exasperation. 
"Sometimes Yepiro, I wonder whose side you're on." 

"My purpose is to maintain the balance." Yepiro answered without hesitation. 

"Yet you look like a Methamophyst and behave like a Logician." The Archon said with a hard edge in his voice. "You are a member of the Chamber of Stability, in case you forgot."

"Thank you for the reminder, Archon." Expressionless as always, Yepiro looked completely oblivious to the anger in the Archon's voice. "I didn't mean to displease you, but as your advisor, I think that deploying a few surveillances drones..."

"That's unnecessary," The Archon spoke again, cutting him off. "and potentially dangerous. Don't forget, at least in part she is one of us. Besides, once the Frenzy awakens in her, she will be the one to come to us. She will have no other choice." 

"Be as it may, the Chamber of Methamorphy and the Chamber of Continuity will not be happy about this." The Yepiro pointed out. 

"Of course they won't. They can't wait to put their hands on her." The Archon made a rude noise in the back of his throat. "Well, the Chambers will have to wait. They tried doing things their way, and what's the result? They turned an ally into an enemy." The Archon shook his head unhappily. "No, Yepiro I can't agree on this."

"They will use it against you." The Yepiro warned, though his tone remained neutral. "Your opponents are already spreading rumors about your unhealthy biological attachment. If they denounce you to the Chamber of Logic..."

"Don't worry about the Chambers." The Archon said dismissively. "We just have to speed up the project. That should reassure them."

Yepiro looked surprised, his bionic eyes widening ever so slightly. "You were against it. Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Things are different now." The Archon said in a gloomy tone. "The human Empire is about to fall apart. It's time we step in." He paused for a moment, watching Yepiro in faint amusement. "You look surprised, Yepiro." 

"I am, Archon." Yepiro said honestly. "You've always been one of the strongest advocates of non-intervention."

 "And my ideas have not changed, Yepiro." The Archon smiled without humor before turning back to look outside the windows. "Unfortunately, we can no longer afford the luxury of waiting." He said softly, staring off into space. "Human beings can be so reckless. We will have to save them from themselves...whether they want it or not."

The End...for now.