15. Planning

Freya's P.O.V-

Grandpa walked groggily around the kitchen as Freya sat at the table, finishing lunch. Grandma was in the main room, sewing another quilt as she normally did. Freya looked around, waiting for a chance to escape to the loft.

After Axel had passed out in the hay up in the loft, Roger and Freya had discussed what they would do. They would keep quiet and Roger said he would keep Freya's secret for now. Freya couldn't find words to describe the disgusted and angry words she felt toward him. He had attacked Axel. She almost attacked Roger.

But, she also owed Roger. He hadn't told anybody about Axel yet and by the looks of it he didn't plan on telling anybody too soon. Unless things got out of hand. Freya had bandaged Axel's head while he was sleeping and then both her and Roger had left the barn, getting back to work. Roger had finished most of the fence and had gone home, not saying too much as he left.

Freya was thankful that he wasn't going to tell. That was the last thing she needed.

"So, what would you think if we all hit the road for a few days and visited your aunt?" Grandpa randomly said, opening the pantry and looking for something.

"I'd love too. We haven't seen them in a while. But how would we get there?" Grandma called back.

Freya's heart sank. "Wouldn't it be dangerous to travel in the middle of this war?" She said quietly, looking at him.

"Hey, where are all my apples?" Grandpa asked suspiciously, then shrugged and turned away from the pantry to look at Freya, his blue eyes meeting hers. "You would stay here, Freya. To take care of the animals. Unless your not comfortable staying home alone..." he trailed off, walking over and looking in the drawers for something.

Freya shook her head, "N-no, its fine. I've been left home alone, remember?" When she was around 15, they had gone on a trip and had left her home for a week. She had been fine.

"Huh. Right." He mumbled, searching for an unknown object.

"Would that be okay with you Freya?" Grandma called, her hands busy with fabric and needle as she did her work.

"Of course. I'd be fine." Freya nodded, getting up and placing her bowl of soup on the counter.

Grandpa grinned. "To answer your question about getting there," He paused and then his face lit up, "A train! We would walk to the station, or if someone could loan their MG 32 for a day." He sighed, looking into the distance for a moment. "Always wanted one of those."

"A what?" Freya asked, tilting her head.

Grandpa chuckled. "It's a car, Freya. Newest way of transportation! I think Mr. Smith ought to have one..." Grandpa walked out of the room, mumbling to himself about that car as Grandma smiled and looked back down at her sewing.

A car. Hmm. That was something you didn't see very often here in Swingate. This was one of the more poorer areas of England...

With her grandparents gone for a little bit, at least she wouldn't have to worry about Axel being discovered by them. Speaking of Axel, he had probably woken up already. She was generally concerned at the wound he had from Roger's attack. But then she remembered the way he had smiled at her as she helped him over to the ladder, in an attempt to cheer her up. He would be okay. She knew it.

The day passed quickly as her grandparents actually began putting the idea of leaving in action. Grandpa and Grandma were in the main room now, talking and writing things down on a piece of paper. Freya was cleaning up around the house, a damp towel in her hand as she ran it along the window seal, picking up dust and any dirt that had settled over time. She overheard her grandparents speaking and discussing the trip. They would take a train up to London, where some of their family lived. The train wouldn't be available for two weeks due to shipments of new enlistees joining the army, so they would stay up in London for two and a half weeks before catching the next train back.