Soul

All Sans were the same being, no matter what AU they came from.

Which is why, if the Classic universe fell all the rest would fall.

Sans were all so different, making some Sans feel an identity crisis when they met there alters.

In spirit they were the same, but in soul they had there own.

That was a relief to Nightmare, who after regaining his sanity after being forced the apples had been curious.

Now Dream and himself shared the same spirit and soul.

Which is why neither would kill the other, because it would be suicide.

Literally.

They were yin to yang of each other, had been since there birth/creation.

Even when driven insane, he'd only turned Dream into stone.

Nightmare sighed trying not to think of the coming conflicts, conflicts between the dark and star Sans.

He hated these battles.

Hated the rage that would overcome him.

The Dark skeleton really wanted to punch Ink into the ground a few times.

He wasn't blind, he saw Ink flirting with Dream in his own soulless way.

No one was good enough for his brother.

Also... the fact was, because in truth they were two halves of a whole.

Whoever got together with one would be with both, because marriage of monsters was a marriage of souls. Children would be born between magic and soul, meaning if Inky and Dream had kids.. the kids would also be his kids.

He shook his head, chasing such thoughts away.

He concentrated on what he had been doing before his thoughts drifted, seeing if he could push the corrupting effects of the apples away.

He grinned, for a split second instead of goopy hands he saw white bones untouched by time.

He wondered, under the corruption was he still a kid.

Now that he had to find out.