⤷ 𝐨𝐧𝐞 : 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 • 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠

♡𝓆𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃𝒾𝑒 ♡

────── ∘°❉°∘ ──────

────── °° ──────

oh, but my heart grew active
when you came into view,
i've got a crush on you
ella fitzgerald : i've got a crush on you

────── °° ──────
august 28th, 1942
────── °° ──────

   THE FOOD WAS ALMOST ALL GONE BY THE TIME SHE SAT DOWN. queenie had been picking at it as she walked from the counter, like a starving child. "stop shovelling it down queenie." george chastised her, smacking her hand away as her spoon plunged into the mashed potato.
"don't tell me what ta do." her voice was muffled by the food in her mouth. afternoon was due to be quiet, an afternoon of lectures, and queenie couldn't be more grateful. she was sick of the constant PT she was forced to endure. she retrieved the spoon and shovelled another blob of potato into her mouth before giggling at george's disappointment. he shook his head and in mock solemnity said: "you just couldn't do it for me."
"no i couldn't!"
"hey trigger." perconte grinned at poppie as she gave him a mock, exaggerated smile before changing it to a murderous look. "hey guys. what's happenin?"
perconte shook his head. "queenie's acting like she hasn't eaten all day."
poppie gave queenie a knowing look. "she hasn't eaten all day. trust me, i heard her singing in the shower this morning. i don't think she had time eat today." queenie thought back to her morning shower. it had been glorious, with talbert offering to keep watch of the door for as long as she wanted. it also meant that, despite regulations, queenie's soft blonde hair fell in thick ringlets rather than being confined to the tight bun it was used to.

   luz cracked a grin. "singing? queenie you never told me you could sing!"
queenie began to squirm in her seat and felt herself flush. "everyone can sing, sugar. some people just ain't no good at it."
"are you?"
"did a little performing here and dere, before the war."
"cmon then!" he called. "give us a song!" he lit himself a cigarette before offering a light to malarkey.
"yeah queenie, go on!" malarkey added.
"must i?"
the puppy dog eyes george have queenie told the answer. she sighed gently.
"stars shinin bright above you,
night breezes seem ta whisper i love you,
birds singin in the sycamore tree,
dream a little dream of me."
george enthusiastically clapped, cigarette still poking out his mouth. "voice of an angel!"
"yeah, whatever georgie." she crossed her arms and huffed, before placing an elbow on the table and resting her chin on a dainty hand.

"that what you did?" poppie asked her with a mouth full of food. "before the war?"
"yeah i guess, here and there. the odd modelling job as well. what about you?"
"munitions in the day, waitress in the evening. dancer at night." malarkey all but spat out his potato. luz smirked in amusement and perconte just looked shocked, mouth agape. queenie held in a chuckle. "dancer as in..."
"yeah, like tits out at a gentleman's club dancer."
queenie and poppie suppressed their giggles at the men's facial expressions. "ya must of needed the money huh?"
"was good pay." poppie played along with the joke. "the amount of money some men shove down your panties is beyond me."
"oh poppie!" malarkey exclaimed, flicking a tiny bit of mash at her. it landed on her forehead and wiped it off and flicked it back.
"what? it's the truth!"
malarkey just shook his head in a daze at her. skip and penkala walked over, and queenie smiled. "hey queenie. trigger."
"i've gotta name yano."
"so have i." skip made a fair point. queenie giggled. "giggles. that's your new name." he pointed to her with his spoon. all the men clamoured to show their appreciation of this new nickname. "giggles." queenie said the name aloud, and in her louisianan accent it sounded even funnier, and skip muck's cackle confirmed this fact. queenie tried to fight the urge to laugh by tightly gripping her lips together, but it didn't work.