Chapter Four: Death by Crate

Dogs had always especially hated Axel and I. I didn't know what it was about us. They would just become hostile and aggressive to the point of murder around us. Stray or owned.

I stood, staring at the bit bull's fierce eyes. The remains of our duffle bags and their contents were guarded by two equally angry-looking hounds. They'd torn apart everything we'd ever owned in the span of a few hours.

Our whole livelihood. Ripped to shreds.

Careful not to make any sudden movements, I took a step backward. I signaled for Axel to start running in three.

The dogs snarled louder, promising death.

Two.

With a slight crunch, I head the basket drop at my feet.

One.

I tensed the same moment the mutts did.

Go.

Turning on my heel, I ran flat out. Axel was before me, the strays barking and snapping at my heels.

Swerving around a fallen barrel, my breaths came in pants as the stilted houses around became brick apartments. Axel was heading towards the city, leaving the beach behind. I blindly followed, feeling the dog's hot breaths every time I slowed in the slightest.

Axel took a sharp turn down a street ignoring the stares from the bystanders.

I realized he was trying to steer us to a discreet area where we could shift. And then preferably get us to higher ground so the dogs wouldn't tear us to pieces.

He glanced back at me for a split second. Get ready.

Up ahead, a street vendor peeked curiously out from behind his stand. Then he saw the dogs and promptly began to pack his items up in a hurry.

"Sorry about this!" I yelled, snatching a hot dog from his stand as I passed by. "I'll pay you back later."

I hurled the stick, looking back to see it land smack on the unfortunate pit bull's snout. That and an angry vendor shouting profanities at me.

The dog took a few more steps, then realized a tasty morsel had flown past. It stumbled to a halt, voraciously claiming the hot dog before noticing that its other prey had escaped.

"I bought us a few seconds," I puffed, now pacing by Axel's side. "I hope you have a plan. because the distraction won't last long."

"Duck," was his only reply as I very nearly slammed face-first into a street sign. He sent me a look that said, I know what I'm doing.

There was a growing stitch in my side and I dearly hoped that Axel would stop soon. If not, I might just give myself to the dogs so I wouldn't have to run. But at the same time, at least we were getting some exercise.

Suddenly, Axel swerved behind a stack of fruit crates, pulling me along by the arm. He jumped, shape-shifting mid-air and landing on top of the stack.

"Get up here!" He hissed urgently.

I hesitated for a second, then followed suit.

Just in time to see the dogs round the corner, growling and barking and generally making a nuisance of themselves. A very terrifying nuisance to two particular cats.

I crouched, breathing hard and flinching each time one of the mutts threw itself at the crates, shaking it.

"Not sure if we're high enough," Axel muttered, clearly running calculations through his head. It was apparent that whatever answer he reached wasn't pleasant.