Chapter Twenty-Four

The wedding was not a grand affair. Autumn had fully taken control as Regan journeyed to the small chapel at the edge of the estate, golden leaves twitching at the end of their tree's branches while the softer sunlight slanted through them, casting shadows across the churchyard. Regan's family was in attendance - even Katherine and Mr. Winthrop, married only three weeks before but abstaining from any travel until after Regan had wed and the weather nearer to the equator has lost more of its summer intensity.

Thomas's brother and family were in attendance as well. Regan made certain that Thomas invited them, even if they declined the invitation and chose to keep to Norfolk instead. But they arrived the day before the wedding, taking up rooms at the nearest coaching inn despite Regan's invitation for them to stay at her home for as long as they wished.

Thomas's brother, Mr. Frederick Cranmer, was more stoic and aloof than his younger brother. He seemed somewhat relieved at meeting Regan, as if he had expected something different and been pleased she did not match up with whatever image of her he had created in his mind. Or perhaps the size of her home and its surrounding grounds had quieted whatever reservations he might have entertained at the initial discovery of his brother's desire to marry. But everyone comported themselves well, and while Regan was glad to have them there, she doubted there would be more than a perfunctory level of interaction between the two families in the future.

But as to the wedding itself...

Regan had chosen to wear a new gown, all brandy-colored silk and gold trim, the sleeves long to combat the recent chill in the air. She had not told Thomas what she would wear, and he had said nothing to her either. And yet his waistcoat was embroidered gold, and Regan wondered if there had been some gossip among the servants and perhaps a few words in Thomas's ear about what colors his betrothed had chosen to don for the ceremony.

She stood beside him at the front of the church, their meagre collection of guests assembled behind them. She heard little of what the vicar said, replying when she was bid to, listening to Thomas give his responses in return, and then...

And then they were married. As simple as that. It had seemed like a much grander affair when she had married Edmund so many years before, or perhaps the details had exaggerated themselves in her memory. Thomas took her hand, and then there was a kiss, and all of the business of signing the registry that leant the scene an official air.

She was married. Again. For how long would she have to remind herself that it was real? For how long would she grin at the mere thought of having Thomas as her husband?

Thomas...

They stepped out of the church, out into the sunlight that shot across the churchyard at a different angle than when she had gone in. Regan paused and looked up at her husband. The ends of his hair beneath the brim of his hat fluttered in the breeze, while his eyes sparked with light and joy as several people came up to congratulate them at once.

He was happy.

Did she look as happy, as full of joy and contentment? She imagined she did, if the bubble of happiness inside of her - threatening to lift her off the ground, she feared - was any indication of her current expression.

A small caravan of carriages trundled its way back to the house, while the rest of the guests walked the short distance down the lane or even cut across the fields. Regan sat beside Thomas, alone in their open vehicle, the sounds of birdsong and the crunch of dirt and stone beneath the wheels acting as accompaniment to their drive.

"Mrs. Cranmer," Thomas said, the first thing he said, after their carriage had set into motion. "Are you happy?"

She held his hand in hers, her thumb stroking across the rough ridges of his knuckles. They had both removed their gloves, and so she gloried in this little bit of his skin revealed to her touch. "I did not think..." she began, as she shook her head. "I was so fortunate already, to have had Edmund, and the children. But now..." She looked up at him, and before she could finish he bent down and kissed her fully on the lips, his tongue teasing the corners of her mouth until she smiled and opened to him.