Chapter 11 - Rowan

It had been three months now, and Rowan had still not stopped the hunt for his mate.  Tonight, he, Lorcan, Gavriel, and Elide were camped outside Doranelle.

He had been tracking her bond for months, and Rowan knew that his mate was inside the city. She had to be. Rowan didn't know how long this could continue until one of them snapped.

He got up from his spot in the tree and went to wake Gavriel for his watch.

That night, Rowan slept fitfully dreaming of Aelin trapped in the coffin. He tried to comfort her.

Telling her that they would be there soon and rescue her. Everything would be okay. For some reason, this sounded to Rowan more like reassurance to himself than a promise to her.

Rowan awoke the next more to hands shaking him. "Rowan, wake up!" Elide was hissing.

He did, grabbing his sword, and leaping to his feet. "What's wrong?"

"You were screaming bloody murder. Was it a nightmare again?"

Rowan nodded, sitting down on a rock. He put his face in his hands, contemplating what his life had become.

Three months of searching for his mate, of waking up every night with nightmares.

The others came over. "Rowan, we should move out if we want to reach Doranelle by tomorrow," Lorcan suggested roughly.

Elide gave Lorcan a glare but said nothing. Their relationship had not improved at all in the months following Aelin's abduction. If anything, it could be considered worse.

Rowan moved to stand up from the rock when he felt it. Felt the bond cleave through his soul. He screamed, as he clung desperately to the bond. To his mate, leaving this world.

"Rowan! Rowan! What is it?" Gavriel asked, shaking the warrior.

Rowan opened his eyes blearily. "She's gone."

A/N What a depressing chapter to write, hence the reason I've been avoiding it. But it's here now, and better yet I've gotten two chapters done in one day.