- 07 -

There's a quiet murmur of voices outside. Guards, I think. Gently, I reach out with my ability, trying to get a hold on any of their bioelectrical signals. Doctor Selden wasn't lying; I worm my way into a guard's head, and I don't even feel a spark from my collar. It's hard through the thick metal door, but I manage.

I shut my eyes and slow my breathing, focusing. There's a hiss of breath from the guard as I take control of his mind, but I force him to stand stock still, just as he was moments before. The other guard doesn't notice. I open my eyes and two images are blended in my vision. One is of high white walls and my sleep shell, but it's blurry; the other is of a white door with the number 16 printed in block letters on the front. It's my cell door. In my own body, I squint to better focus on the guard's vision. It's been months since I've gotten the chance to use my ability, so I'm a little shaky, but I put all my strength into the guard and just stand there, getting used to inhabiting his body.

I can feel his discomfort. He wants to say something, but his mind is weak. He hasn't yet learned how to bar his mind from intrusions like mine, and I force his limbs to stay relaxed, his eyes to look straight ahead, and slowly, I corner him into the back of his own mind until I'm fully in control. This is what I wanted. He's significantly taller than me, so I take a moment to adjust. I lean him forward just a bit to look both ways down the hallways. There's about two dozen guards down this particular hallway, but it doesn't house all the mutants, as there's only sixteen cells. That's everyone up to the Category 8's, but not beyond. It'll have to do.

"You alright, man?" The guard next to me asks, concern reflecting in his eyes. He's gripping a gun loosely at his side.

The guard's tongue feels heavy as I make him speak. "Fine. Didn't get much sleep last night."

The guard next to me nods like he understands, his gaze wandering. Perfect.

I force the guard to throw an elbow. It catches the other man in the face and his head slams into the wall. He slips down to the floor, unconscious, but I don't have time to relish the victory. I force the guard forward. He rips a keycard from his pocket and swipes it against the wall. I hear the door click from two people and I keep my hold on the guard while simultaneously launching to my feet. The guard pushes the door open and I race out. By now, other people in the hallway have noticed and are either running towards my cell or away from it. I snarl and reach out, grabbing the bioelectrical signals of everyone within fifteen feet. Everyone has a job, as far as I'm concerned; I drag the two guards around me, guns out, for protection. The doctors pull out key fobs of their own run toward the cells, but the sound of denied entry quickly fills the halls. I curse and twist the doctors' necks. They fall to the floor easily and I raise the guns of the guards around me, shooting far down the hallway. It's hard to focus with so many images in front of my eyes and so many muscles to control at the same time, but I try to formulate a plan.

A guard next to me hands me a gun and I sprint toward the Category 2's. There's a certain superhuman with particularly high IQ, and I need him for this. I skid in front of his cell. He's already standing, hands clenched into fists, but I notice his fingers are wrapped around his thumbs. I sigh. He's not a fighter, but I don't need him to fight for the moment.

"How do you unlock the cells?" I ask above the yelling.

He looks stunned for a moment, his jaw hanging open. I'm not patient in a situation like this. I slam my hands on the glass. He flinches.

"The guards each have their own personal fobs! You need the guard that goes with the cell!"

I groan loudly and spin around. In my haste, the guards were everywhere, none of which seemed to be assigned to a particular cell. I curse again and shoot a guard racing toward me at full speed. There's too much going on. I just got out, and already my plan is falling apart.