Epilogue: The Dawn to come

The streams of refugees seemed without end as each day, more and more made their ways to the entrance of a great canyon, setting up camps, waiting anxiously to go to the other side. There they rested, hungry, wounded, sick and scared, but at least they are safe, for garrisoning the fortress that guards the only safe passage through the mountain are the legions of warriors whose skills and prowess were beyond compared. And yet, there's still unease, amidst the hundreds of campfires, torches and tents, refugees, human, elves and others, exchanged food, stories, warnings and comforts. No matter where they're from, the stories were all the same, people went missing, only to found days later, mutilated, covered in corrupting black slimes, then the attacks came, Deep Ones and Dagonites swarmed in from the coastal regions while corrupted Dryads swept down from the forested mountains. Casualties were high, sometime entire settlements were razed to the ground, their inhabitants slaughtered to the last. Many didn't believe the tales, not until the scouting parties returned, bearing news and statistics, along with whatever left of the settlements that didn't show up.

From the one of the many levels ramparts carved into the vertical cliff, Kas looked down, violet eyes flickered in the dim torches as his long, black tail swayed in contemplation. It's been many moons since he last seen this many people gathering at the gate, but fortunately the garrisons were prepared, rations were being distributed, his scouts have secured the nearest trade routes and foraging parties were sent out to supply the ever increasing numbers of refugees. But what could have caused such a wide scale attack?

- It's getting a bit crowded here, isn't it? - The question came from a girl with snowy white hair standing next to him, looking down at the growing refugee camps with concerned violet eyes.

- Yes. - Kas replied, his tone was a deep murmur, the garrisons were holding, but he didn't know how long they can sustain this rate of food consumption. He turned to his companion, tapping the armored talon of his raptorial foot onto the cold hard rock. - So how have you been?

- I'm fine. - The girl looked up and smiled. - Trainings have been difficult lately though, and the siege is grinded to a stalemate.

- Without help from the World Ships or the Shadow City, the siege would continue to be like that. - Kas crossed his arms and sighed. - We need Him. We need his authority and command.

- Have you found any thing? - The girl asked nervously, anxiously.

- No. - Kas shook his head. - But don't worry Meirin, he'll be...

The sounds of panic screaming and frantic gunshots ripped across the night sky, causing a small panic amongst the refugee camps and alarming the sentries on the hastily built defense platforms and palisades. Meirin and Kas exchanged a look of concern, they recognized that scream and knew full well what it meant. The older male's expression deepened into that of confidence for the girl's capability, he nodded at her in approval and said:

- Go get them Wolf Pup.

Meirin nodded in return and leapt off the ramparts, hopping from firing platforms protruding from the cliff face one at a time. The girl touched the mossy ground, her dark fur cloak fluttered in the winds for but a moment before she dashes across the refugees, clutching in her hand is her trusted wheellock jezzail, its storm wheel reactor glowed dimly, leaving a trail of faint purple light as its master rushes pass the camps. Snatching the reign of a black horse, she led the animal through the path of beaten earth, passing the confused garrisons and refugees and out into the darkness of the wilderness outside of the camps.

Meirin held tight onto the beast's neck, with one push of her leg, she launched herself on top the saddled horse and urged it to run faster. Hooves plowed into the cold dirt, uprooting patches of grass and moss as rider and beast charged across the moonlit tundra. From afar the white haired girl could hear the gunshots and screams getting louder and louder, along with the rumbling of giant legs stomping in the distance.