032

HOPPER'S BLAZER wasn't parked out front when Ana finally arrived home after what felt like a never-ending workday, and she could only imagine where he'd gone off to at that hour

The sound of REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling" blared from Eleven's room as Ana walked through the door of the cabin. Usually, Mike and Eleven used the radio to cover up the sound of their makeout sessions, but Ana highly doubted Hopper would willingly leave the two alone in the house unattended.

Silently easing the door open to El's room, Ana found the teenager lying facedown on her bed, head buried in the pillows. The lights were all on, so the girl clearly wasn't sleeping. No, Ana thought as she observed her, this was the position of someone in a sulk.

Prior to moving to Hawkins, Indiana, Ana had never envisioned herself as a mother. Sure, being a teacher had made her a surrogate parent to countless children, but being responsible for someone's entire upbringing was a different realm altogether. And, before Ana had been given the opportunity to consider the prospect thoroughly, Hopper had put her name on El's birth certificate, thrusting her into the role forevermore.

Ana didn't regret the decision, and she didn't resent Hopper for the choice, but she had to wonder if she was prepared for the responsibility. She'd lived her life independently, and, honestly, selfishly, for so long that she wasn't entirely sure she had the capacity for sacrifice anymore.

How long would it be before everyone realized that she wasn't a necessity in their story? Hopper, Eleven, The Wheelers, The Byers and their little party, how long until they noticed that she'd inserted herself into their lives, but didn't entirely belong amongst them? It was thoughts like these that had always driven Ana to stay busy. It was probably the reason she took the job at the pool instead of hanging around the cabin all summer.

For all Ana Thompson's admirable qualities, deep down, she was a habitually self-deprecating woman, and one with deep-rooted commitment issues to boot. How she'd ended up a part of this small burgeoning family was anyone's guess.

Shaking herself out of those cynical thoughts, Ana approached the teenager and gently sat on the edge of her bed. Eleven made no move to acknowledge the new presence, and it appeared Ana was going to be doing the heavy lifting in at least one more conversation that day.

"Wanna tell me what's ailing you, munchkin?" Ana's question finally stirred Eleven, as the girl sat up with a huff, sitting back against the wall with her arms crossed.

"What's ailing?" El asked with a tinge of annoyance coloring her words. Ana's eyes softened, she often forgot how many things the girl missed out on while trapped in Hawkins National Laboratory.

"It means what's wrong. What's got you all upset?" Ana watched as El fiddled with the hem of her shirt for a few moments, considering the answer. Heart-to-hearts weren't exactly Ana's forte, but she'd wait patiently until the girl was ready to talk.