Chapter 2

Emma tugged at her tiny sequin dress, it was too revealing for Frank's liking. She thought she was over dressed and that Frank was under dressed. Jeans and a black shirt weren't exactly rave clothing but after what had happened in the shop earlier, she knew that discussing tonight wasn't exactly wise. But like always, she was a glutton for punishment.

"What are you going to do?"

He shrugged, noticing her shivering as they walked along the footpath.

"Why aren't you wearing a coat?"

"I always lose them."

"So getting a cold seemed like a better idea?"

She shrugged as she opened the door to the car, looking upon their little shack. After tonight they wouldn't be able to come back. It had been their home for the past year, and she was going to miss it. The place was in dire need of repair, but it was better than the unit that they had when they were kids. She sighed sadly as she flopped into the seat, wishing their mother were still alive to help them through this. As she looked to her brother, Emma knew why things were the way they were. He had made the deal, he had picked the path for their life. She didn't regret it, nor did she hate him for it. It was him that suffered daily because of it.

"Did you pack everything?"

Emma nodded even though everything was a bag of clothes and a box of food. She didn't want to tell him that she had taken everything from the till today, knowing that they weren't coming back. This time they were prepared to run away. This time they would have money.

Pulling down the visor to adjust herself in the mirror, an old photo of their mother stuck into the felt ceiling above. Emma looked at it sadly, it was a haunting photo of her, one that burned into her mind that she was a terrible daughter. Frank and Emma Taylor, orphan children at the ages of ten and twelve. No one suspected them, innocent children that were found cowering under the bed when the police knocked down the door. No one noticed when they disappeared from the foster home, no one cared.

Tell your mother that you love her and give her a kiss goodnight Frankie, do be a darling son and show her the adoration she deserves.

"Do you regret it?"

"Always." He choked out.

She sighed and pushed the visor back up, not wanting to look at a dead woman any longer.

"So, the plan?"

"Keep Lola occupied and out of view, okay? I don't want her to see... anything."

Emma rolled her eyes as she watched the houses dart past.

"You don't want anyone seeing anything Frank, take it somewhere quiet." Emma mulled it over for a second. "But if I'm occupying Lola, I won't be able to help you, you might get caught."

"I know that." He snapped.

Frank looked at his sister, her green eyes were luminous when she was on the verge of tears.

"Sorry." Frank sighed. "I just don't want Lola seeing it."

"Are you going to ask her to come with us?"

He shrugged as they pulled into the car park.

"She has a lot to leave behind if I do."

Emma looked at the community hall that had been set up for the Halloween rave, the place was over decorated with ghosts, spider webs and grave stones. She shivered at the jack-o-lanterns, remembering that night. Jack of the lantern wasn't Jack, she was Jacqueline and she was a real piece of work. Her mind snapped back into the moment, seeing Lola making a beeline to them.

"Hey." Lola said brightly. "Glad you two could make it."

Frank nodded as he sipped the beer from the bottle, conveniently grabbed from the drunken fool on the ground who was already passed out. He had to stop her at all cost, he had to keep her at a distance. For now at least. She smiled at Frank, thinking that he had the bad boy and mysterious soul down pat. He seemed aloof toward her as his pensive gaze watched the people pass them. All it did was make her resolve to try harder to get his attention.

"I'm thirsty." Emma declared boldly. "Which way to the bar?"

"Uh, inside, to the left."

Her gaze washed over Frank as he continued to look at every single person that passed them, almost like he was looking for someone.

"Okay, lead the way."

Lola frowned and then looked to Emma who was smiling at her sweetly.

"Sure."

She surmised that if she was ever going to get some time alone with Frank, she had to deal with his sister. Likely one of the guys on the football team would do the job, she could easily convince one of them to keep her occupied. It wasn't as if they actually had to do anything with her, just talk, keep her occupied for long enough to... Lola sighed as she stepped into the hall. Who was she kidding? If she couldn't attract him in the times that she talked to him at the petrol station then what chance did she have at the rave?

Frank could hear his target before he saw her. The dress was worse than the one that Emma was wearing. As he watched her, Frank resolved it in his mind that she was the selection for tonight. He had no specific reasoning other than she seemed friendly enough to approach. Frank hoped that she'd be willing to follow him outside.

The assessment of the woman continued, Frank had to be sure she was the right person. He watched as the woman would flirt with one man until she had gotten a snub and then moved on to the next. It seemed that she didn't care that the man's girlfriend was standing right beside him when she shamelessly flirted with him. Frank thought she was lucky that she didn't get a punch from the girlfriend, she looked like she wanted to. Slowly he etched his way closer, through the dark of the hall and the strobe lights he watched the skimpy dress sparkle. A diamond in the dark, though comparing her to a diamond might be a tad extreme. The blonde was jiggling to the music, swishing her drink everywhere when Frank approached her.

"Hey." He grinned a salacious smirk.

"Hi." She yelled over the loud music. "Wanna take this somewhere quiet?"

Frank couldn't believe how forward she was, he chuckled and nodded.

Lola was standing by the makeshift bar, trying to coerce one of the jocks into doing her a favour. She had used up all of the ones that she had earned in school, now that there were no more assignments to be done, she couldn't get any more. As she bit her lip, Lola mindlessly thought that she could always cut their hair for free for a year as payment. Her eyes caught sight of Frank crossing the hall, in the pulsating light she watched him follow a blonde out the front door. Emma saw the look and could instantly tell that they would be done for if Lola told anyone.

"Hey, want to get some fresh air?"

Lola looked at Emma and warily nodded.

They wandered out of the hall, stepping into the cool of the evening. Emma shivered as a cool wind passed them.

"Hey, I just want to get my jacket. Can you keep me company?"

"I guess," Lola said, still searching for Frank.

"Thanks. I try not to get scared of guys when they drink but you know they can get all grabby."

"Oh yeah, sure hon. Don't stress, I get it. Safety in numbers, right?"

Emma nodded as she weaved through the drunks to the car park. With the rear door open, Emma cast a quick sleep spell and grabbed Lola. She'd be okay under the blanket, Emma didn't plan on leaving her here for long anyway. Just until Frank did his dark deed for another year.

As she closed the rear door of the little hatch, Emma sighed. It was all that she could do for the moment. When it was time to wake her, they would give her some lie about her passing out but for now, this was for the best. She had seen too much.