Chapter 5: Unsurprised

Khushi was always taught that karva chauth was the most important festival of a married woman, at least that was what she learned from her mother who used to fast religiously for her father

Khushi was always taught that karva chauth was the most important festival of a married woman, at least that was what she learned from her mother who used to fast religiously for her father. However, spending the day with her in-laws, she realized that perhaps she misunderstood it all.

After getting a house tour from Shankar, Khushi was whisked away by her sisters-in-law for an afternoon of shopping. She watched in silence as they insisted on buying her countless new sarees and chirped about everything and nothing at the same time.

Anjali, married for almost ten years now, had just recounted her husband, Shyam's surprise for her that morning, when Lavanya jumped in and asked Khushi about Arnav.

"So did my duffer of a brother surprise you?"

Khushi looked at them, realizing that she would not be able to lie for much longer. Both of them seemed to know Arnav better than themselves. "Should he?"

Lavanya groaned. "Yes! Husbands are always expected to surprise their wives! You are being too naive."

"Is that why Akash looks so scared every time I mention a date?" Anjali interrupted with a smirk.

Lavanya shrugged. "I am just saying it's a good idea to keep men on their toes."

Anjali rolled her eyes. "It's been a year Lavu, give it some more time before you start making statements on men."

Khushi jumped in. "It's only been a year? Was it arranged?"

"Yes," Anjali replied, while Lavanya blushed. "Hard to believe since they seem to know each other inside out."

Were all arranged marriages supposed to be like that, Khushi wondered to herself. Who was the odd one out? Her or them?

"So what surprise did you get this year Lavu?" Anjali continued. "Diamond bangles or a trip to some exotic city?"

Lavanya shrugged. "I am not that materialistic, okay? I asked him for a promise this year."

"Which is...?"

"That he will spend more time at home," she answered with a sigh. "He is always so busy with work that he never has time for me..."

Khushi didn't understand what was so bad about that. A husband not at home was a husband who did not ask questions. But then again, maybe she had a different opinion on how marriages were supposed to work.

"That sounds like a promise Chote should give to Khushi," Anjali replied. "Does he even spend time with you?"

Khushi felt both her sisters-in-law turn to her expectantly. She knew from the way they were watching her expression that this was a trick question. So, she settled for a believable yes:

"A little... it's difficult with the merger. Even Vihaan, my brother, is very busy at the office nowadays."

Lavanya seemed a little convinced. "So, you took my advice then?"