Forty Five

'An agent of what?' said Grace.

'Ellie!' snapped Tila.

'I'm just asking,' said Ellie quietly.

'It's not like she's working with Conway is it?,' said Tila.

'You're not, are you?' joked Malachi.

'Yes I work for Conway,' Grace admitted. 'Why? Is that a problem? Why do you all look so worried?'

'You don't know?' said Tila softly. 'He's behind all of this. He sabotaged the mission. He... he has slaves working in Baru.'

Grace studied Tila's face. It was being torn apart by conflict.

'He's not the one behind this, Tila. No one person is. It's a cabal of corporations and shell companies throughout the Commonwealth. Whoever is behind this is bigger than you know.'

'But we have proof!'

'You don't. You have incomplete data and you've jumped to the wrong conclusion.'

'But-'

'No, Tila,' said her mother firmly. 'We don't have time for this now. We need to get away from here at once. There are still pirates on board looking for you and other agents, Cabal agents, may have landed by now.'

'But-'

'Later. I promise. Right now we have important work to do.' And with that her mother effortlessly, completely, took control of the situation. She walked to the console, unslung her weapon and lay it down. 'Okay, first things first. You're all waking and talking so the plan is intelligence, medical, tactical, escape. Where's your ship? Who's your pilot?'

'I... we came in three ships.' Tila said. Whatever reunion she had once dreamed of had gone. Her mother was back, but now the soldier was speaking. The impossible had happened but she still felt so far from home.

Grace noted the flight suits. 'Nearby? Good. You won't have to go back into the ship and I can seal this door when I leave.' Grace pulled a medical kit from her back and unrolled it next to her carbine. 'I forgot you had a ship each. My briefing was rushed. Valkyries, correct?'

'How did you know that?' said Malachi.

'Questions later, if we get out of here. Are they fast?'

'Jayce said they were experimental interceptors,' said Malachi.

'You'll need to be fast once you launch.'

Malachi looked at Ellie. 'That's not going to be a problem.'

Grace ripped open an assortment of patches and grouped them in threes. In the middle she placed a water bottle.

'I'm going to assume you know the way out. I can't help you there until I'm back at my own ship. In the meantime I can distract and delay from on board.'

'Where's your ship?' said Tila.

'Forward docking bay, other side of the ship, lower decks.'

'The other end of the ship? How are you going to make it? You said more agents are coming.' said Malachi.

Grace patted her carbine and winked at him. 'That's not going to be a problem either. Now, listen carefully, this is important. I'm looking for a man named Typhon. He works for the cabal, he's very dangerous, and he has answers. He could be on his way.'

'Oh, um,' said Ellie.

'We uh, that is Ellie-' began Malachi.

'He's gone. Out the airlock,' said Tila.