Chapter 2: Freedom

You feel a rumble, and blocking out the other mind voices save for Piken, you lift your head. Just as you were about to ask him what is happening, a explosion rings through the place, causing the wall to hit six glass cages. Four break, and one is too disorientated while the others get to work unlocking cages when the ex-spy says something about helping the rest of the cages.

After a couple minutes, all of the cages were unlocked and mine was unlocked from Piken. You climb out, and nuzzle Piken as thanks. He lets out a thrumming noise, and we cut off our thrumming when we realize that everyone else left without us. I chirp at him before taking off, him close behind. You hear a rumble, and when you glance back to make sure he was following you find him about to be covered in rubble.

You turn sharply, pushing him out of the way but end up getting hit by the rubble and being brought down with it. You scream in fear, and black out.

----------------------------------------------------

You wake up dimly to being dug out from under the rubble, whoever it was seemed in a rush. You blink open your eyes groggily, and see light slowly cracking more and more to let you free. You soon lose consciousness, and don't even hear the pleading of Piken.

----------------------------------------------------

7 years later...

----------------------------------------------------

You hiss in agitation as you glare at the strange lizard, its dark shadow-like appearance disgusting. For some reason, it set you on edge. Probably the fact that your blood memories told you it killed anything that breathes.

Piken darts from the sky, landing in front of you and flapping his wings before shooting a flame at it. It screams, charging forward in fury. He shoves you back, but gets hit at the back by the lizard.

He screams in pain, causing you to fire a fireball at the thing that you don't know the name of. You hurry to Piken's side, hissing threateningly at the retreating lizard. It runs into the bushes, seeming to find it a smart idea to retreat.. for now. You turn after staring for a good minute when you hear Piken let out a whine of pain.

You turn to see him splaying on the ground, and he seems to be unable to move really. You whine, seeing the 3 deep gashes going along his back. It luckily didn't hit his wings, so his flight wasn't damaged as bad as when you got your flight just barely back at four years after the Invasion.

You growl in annoyance, trying to formulate a plan. The fact you were smaller than most dragonets was annoying right now- you couldn't lift him or anything and dragging was out of mind since it could injure him further. The only thing that could come to mind is the nature-friendly Kymari. You didn't trust them one bit, but you must admit they did appreciate animals more so than the two previous species on Earth.

With a plan in mind, you take off after nuzzling Pikens muzzle, and head to the closest Kymari patrol path. You are hoping that a guard was patrolling.

Seems lady luck was in your favor, as you spot three guards heading down the path. You try to click to get their attention, but they seem to just chalk it up to birds. You hiss in annoyance, and with a frantic edge, chirp repeatedly. They pause at that, looking around but unable to see you approaching. You fly in front of them, spin a couple times, then go back the direction that Piken is.

You dearly hope he is not lizard meat right now. When you glance back you see them following you with shocked confused looks, and you turn back forward, and spot Piken still where he was. You dance around his body a bit to slow down, and land right next to him, nuzzling him worriedly. A worried whine escapes you when he flops back down, his wheezing breath obvious.

The Kymari guards approach the weakened lizard and you cautiously, like they expected you to attack them. Which you might have done if they weren't so careful- even though you lead them here.

A whine escapes you as one stays back, calling for a shuttle to come and pick up on the wrist comm thing they got. You refocus your attention on the two other kymari, seeing they are closer than expected. The closer Kymari gently reaches over to pick up Piken, and you allow it. The one that was farther back offered a berry that had your nostrils flaring- a sunburst berry.

You hesitate, but in the end due to the Kymari's patience levels just take it. Soon enough, you feel the drowsiness. You warble grumpily, but stop resisting sleep as a shuttle starts floating down to you and your Piken.