Chapter 10 - The Admission Test

"This is the last stop... From here, we teleport to the main city."

"Teleport?" Momentarily flabbergasted, Max remembered the conversations on the train. In recent years, teleportation had become available to everyone around the world, albeit with some restrictions. Max was still having trouble wrapping his head around the concept. "Wait... Isn't that super expensive? Can we afford it?"

"Under normal circumstances... probably not. But there's a teleportation matrix some distance away reserved for the applicants." Liliana answered with an eye roll. Lucky that you're an amnesiac otherwise I would have no reason to be so patient with you.

The hackneyed street had no new sights to offer and in some places bore resemblance to a growing flea market. Minutes of silently walking eventually brought the duo before a flamboyantly designed fifteen storey building. The giant construct stood out like a sore thumb and looked down arrogantly upon the rest of the surrounding structures. Combined with the enormous steel gate manned by uniformed guards, it exuded an imposing aura that would deter most from approaching it.

On noticing the duo, one of the guards immediately sprung into action. "Halt! What's your purpose here?"

"We intend to go to the testing grounds for the general academy exams later today." Liliana replied and handed her papers. "Here's my admission pass."

"Everything seems to be in order, you may proceed. Go to the top floor." Satisfied, the guard gave a nod as he opened a path for the two. Watching Liliana and Max disappear into the building, he gave Max an odd look. A human for a familiar! I wonder how far they'll get.

"The standard fee for applicants is two hundred silver coins. Please pay the amount and stand there with the others. This year the tests will be held at the Royal Magic School." A stout man greeted the duo with indifference as they arrived at the highest floor. A few feet behind him were a number of teenagers with mild expressions of excitement. Huddled in a corner, they spoke in hushed tones as they waited for the remaining candidates.

"Tw - Two hundred? Wasn't it one-fifty?"

The man furrowed his brows and glanced at Liliana in annoyance. "Two hundred silver. Non-negotiable. If you can't pay up then come back when you have gathered the money or find your own means of transportation."

Liliana reluctantly nodded as she pulled out four silver notes.

"Alright, go wait with the rest."

Liliana's heart bled when she saw the man casually handle all that money as if it were pocket change. She silently pulled Max along and stood quietly at one end of the crowd.

To most, four hundred silver was a large amount. Seeing Liliana's pitiful expression, Max snickered and quietly took out two silver notes.

"Wha - What's this? Where did you get this from?"

"I wonder where?" Max smiled, but immediately faltered when he noticed Liliana eyeing him suspiciously. "What's with that look? This is honest money, I didn't steal it."

The notes were from a small bundle he had received from Isabel.

With the number of candidates having reached the requirement, the man announced, "Attention candidates! I will now be activating the teleportation matrix. You will find small circles engraved on the ground to your right. Please pick one and stand inside it."

Instantly, a bustle of excitement spread across the floor as the applicants hurriedly stepped forward. The man casually walked to the side and carefully placed three blood red stones into slots on the ground.

Almost instantly, the circles began to glow dimly. The youngsters froze and momentarily blacked out before finding themselves inside a large closed space with an impatient man towering over them.