Camp

After drinking water, walking through the heat of the desert feels like floating in the river flow.

Lily shakes the last drops into her mouth before tossing the waterskin to the sand.

In the valley ahead of us, a cliff enters my view, splitting the sky with its height. A crowd camps in the shadow below it; circling cooking fires with their tattered tents.

I see them shuffle and whisper to one another as they notice us. Rise when we approach. Their mouths are shut and their faces are unreadable.

Lily walks through the camps without sparing any of them a glance. Her eyes are set up on the cliff's peak and the terrible sunshine glistening above it.

I stagger behind following, my knees stoning as I feel the dread in my gut.

A little girl runs up to me then, her dark curls bouncing. She looks up to me with bright green eyes, extending something towards me with both hands.

At first it seems like a sack, but when I take it from her and spread it, I realize it's a dress.

"Thank you." I smile at her, sliding my arms in.

"I made it!" The girl pitches, and I giggle, pulling the rough sewn, sleeveless dress down over my head. And she's gone.

I glance around for the kid, but she's lost in the crowd, and I hasten my step to catch up with Lily.

"You can stay here, you know." Lily speaks without looking at me. "These are good people. They've done a way long like yours."

"I got some strength left to walk farther." I catch her eye, and smile at her.

"Time for walking is done." Lily answers, stopping before the stone face of the cliff. "Now we climb."