CHAPTER 7: THE SEARCH

The Waghmare family was putting a lot of pressure on Parel police. They wanted the police to conduct investigation seriously to find Shipra. Gotya sought help from his political connections to build up the pressure. Two weeks had passed since Shipra left her home.

There was no information about her whereabouts. The search in hospitals yielded nothing. Shipra's bosses professed ignorance about her activities. She had not gone out on any assignment given by them. They seemed worried about her disappearance. They feared the political angle and a possible exposé.

Under constant pressure from the family, the local police got irritated. They alleged that the girl was of loose moral character and must have run away with someone. It happened so many times with children reported missing by parents. All the time, children, frustrated with parents or school or college tend to leave their home to escape from the vagaries of teachers and parents. Ultimately they return. Girls and boys elope frequently much to the chagrin of their family. Shipra could be one such case.

The report on Shipra had been routinely forwarded to other police stations as well as the police headquarters. The police explained to the mother and grandparents that finding a lost person was like searching for a needle lost in a haystack. Soon the photograph of Shipra and her other details would be with every police station in the state. If there was any development anywhere, they would call and inform the family.

Gotya meanwhile remained apprehensive about Shipra. He knew she had gone out on some work related to the party but was surprised none in the party unit knew about it or did not want to talk about it. He used the party grapevine to gather more information about her assignment. One day, his source informed him that she had gone to Bandra on that fateful day and was last seen at the party office there. She had left the party with an important guest who was staying in a guest house at Bandra.

Armed with this information, Gotya went to Bandra to meet the party officials there. When he told them he was Shipra's brother, they went mum. No one was willing to provide any information about Shipra. Some people thought they had seen her in the office, but could not say with certainty. Some had seen her leaving the office with someone whom they could not identify.

Gotya decided to visit the guest house where the important guest was put up. He spoke to the caretaker who professed ignorance. Many people came and went and he could not remember who came when. That was not his duty. Gotya showed him his sister's photograph and asked him if he remembered seeing her here. The caretaker flatly denied.

Gotya knew he was on the right trail; he also knew that he alone will not be able to find out the truth. Was she dead? Had something terrible happened to her that day? He was aware of the risks she took. It was great to know and work with powerful people, but one wrong move and you could land in trouble.

As he walked out of the guest house, he was accosted by a stranger.

"Look mister; I know what happened to your sister."

"Who the hell are you?"

"I work part-time in the guest house. I saw your sister checking in with another man; a powerful and rich man. Not a politician. She was here all night but I did not see her go out of the guest house."

"What happened? Who was the man?"

"I do not know. Look, there is another person who works part-time in the guest house. Maybe he can help you. His name is Manohar."

"I believe he works at some shop in Bandra West. He stopped coming here after your sister visited the guest house."

"Where can I find him?"

"I do not know."

Gotya's mind was reeling; what happened to Shipra? What kind of trouble had she got into? Who was the person with whom she stayed in this Guesthouse? How much did Manohar know? How was Gotya going to find out Manohar?

For the first time in his life, Gotya experienced enormous fear; fear that gripped him like fever; he also realized how much he loved Shipra, his sister. He had never before felt responsible for anyone other than himself, but now he was worried to death about Shipra's welfare. He prayed to God to help him find a way out of this problem. He would offer half his monthly earnings if Shipra was found safe, he promised Lord Ganapati.