37. Selfish or Selfless?

✿ ✿ ✿

name: Selfish or Selfless?
word count: 4200 words
published on: 12th March, 2020

✿ ✿ ✿

N A N D I N I

I could hear somebody knocking the door for a crazily long time now.

Didn't they understand I didn't want to fucking open?

And then, the pounding on the outer door stopped.

Thank God, I thought, covering myself a little more with the duvet.

It's weekend. I'm not supposed to wake up early. But already distracted from sleep, I let the blanket off me as I groggily opened my eyes to see that it was nearly 4 A.M.

Drinking last night on an empty stomach definitely seemed like a terrible idea now when my head pounded although the alcohol in my veins was pretty less.

Drinking last night. Ugh, who was I drinking with again?

Manik.

Manik was staying at my house.

He probably opened the door.

Whom did he even open the door too? London didn't have 4 A.M. milkmans.

Who else could–

CABIR.

Shit. Unicorns. Shitty unicorns.

Cabir was here.

As adrenaline passed through me, I instantly threw the blanket away and was on my toes in a brief second, stumbling twice as I ran out of my room, without a care of my messy hair or face.

I should've informed Manik when I had the chance to.

My thoughts kept repeating themselves in a frenzy.

"Cabir," I said, without thinking the moment my feet landed into the living room. It took me a second to realise that Cabir and Navya were in, their luggage settled on the floor, Manik standing opposite with his arms crossed across his chest, glaring at me but I left all those thoughts there as my worries flew away the moment my eyes met Cabir's.

"Nandini," he whispered, a smile spreading across his lips as I flung into his arms and he almost whisked me off my feet, and I clung onto him as of for dear life.

"We leave our jet lag aside, not go to the hotel to sleep or eat and come here to meet you, and you're sleeping? You chose your sleep over us?" He wiped fake tears as he put me down.

I crossed my arms against my chest. "Hotel? What hotel?"

"The one we're staying in," he said, "I know you asked us to stay with you, but we didn't want to barge in to your privacy, especially not when it's the two of you..." his eyes trailed to Manik.

"Wait...." I nodded negatively, "First, tell me, how are you? And Navya?" I say, smiling eye to eye as I leave him and hug her, and there was something in the way that she held me for a second longer than she should that I knew she had missed me just as much.

"We're okay Nandu, how're you?" She said and Cabir took us both into a hug.

"Wait.... married, or still just engaged?" I asked.