EPILOGUE

"River, Mama!" cried Benji, clapping his hands. "River and boats!"

"Yes, my love, that is the river indeed! See that boat there? That one belongs to your papa, and it has brought silk all the way from China."

Her son shrieked with delight. Though Lydia had her doubts that he understood everything that she was saying, he was certainly enthusiastic about a day out on the water.

There were a few other people on the steam yacht, a family out for the day, and a few courting couples under the hawk-like eyes of their chaperons. It occurred to Lydia that she had not seen Eunice in a little while, and then she saw her, bustling toward them with a few small packets in her hand.

"Oh, it is the most clever thing in the world," Eunice exclaimed. "There's a young boy just over there selling cake, and I thought we could all use a treat."

"You are quite spoiling poor Benji," Lydia said, trying to be stern, but there was such a holiday feeling about the day that she could not stand to keep it up. Instead, she set her son down and let him toddle toward his great-great-aunt, looking for the sweets she had promised.

The yacht was a wonderful treat in and of itself, but Lydia was looking forward to landing, when Nicholas could join them. He had to speak with the captain of his ship and had sent Lydia, Eunice, and Benji on the yacht for a short excursion while he had business.

Even now, the yacht was drifting back toward the dock, and for one breathtaking moment, Lydia saw a familiar face in the crowd. Though Benjamin had always worn a serious expression in life, now his face was wreathed with smiles, and he waved at her briskly and joyfully before he disappeared again. Seeing him sent a pang of joy and wonder through Lydia, and tears filled her eyes.

"Mama sad?" asked a tremulous Benji, and she leaned down to wipe the cake crumbs from his face with a smile.

"No, sweetest. Mama just cries sometimes when she's very happy."

She scooped up Benji in her arms as the yacht landed on the dock. She had barely taken two steps off the gangplank when Nicholas appeared, sweeping them both into his arms.

"There you are. I have missed you both so much."

"Please, Nicholas, we were only separated for a few hours."

"It does not change how much I missed you. Did you have a good sail?"

Nicholas took a closer look at Lydia, and then he handed Benji to Eunice.

"Will you take him off for a few minutes?" he asked, and then he drew Lydia to a sheltered spot away from the crowd.

"What's the matter, love? Have you been crying?"

"No, well, maybe just a little bit."

"What happened?"

"Nothing. Let's just say that I love you so very much, and I love the life we have together. All is well with the world."

Uncaring of the crowd, she leaned into his embrace and planted a soft kiss on his mouth.

Nicholas chuckled at her boldness and nodded.

"As long as you love me, then all is indeed right with the world."

*   *   *

THANK YOU

fro reading the book.

A Race Against The Lord is a regency standalone

If you have enjoyed reading it, I believe you will be interested in the next series – The Spinster Society.