8

one month later

Jo

"I think I'd much rather you guys come here."

"Ha, of course you would," Dad said, dropping his bags on the floor.

"You've got a big house, Jo," Arabella said, smiling.

"Yours still has mine beat, kiddo," I said, rubbing her head.

She giggled. "Where's Lena?"

"Lena's right here," Lena said, grinning as she jogged downstairs, "hi, everyone."

She slipped into her thin jacket, covering her matching sports bra and leggings she'd clearly been working out in.

"Hello," she greeted, embracing the three in a hug, "sorry. I'm a bit sweaty."

"I love your outfit," Adora said, grabbing her hands, "ugh. If only I could still fit my body into that."

Lena rolled her eyes. "Adora, come on. You know you're perfect."

Dad smiled, letting out a sigh. "Which room are we sleeping in? Hopefully one downstairs."

"Why do you say that?" I asked, leading them through the foyer and to the hallway of guest bedrooms.

"One, because I'm old and have no business climbing that many stairs, and two, because I'd like to actually sleep. And not be woken by you two."

"Her sleep is more important than sex, Dad," I said, "I do assure you."

"Sex?" Arabella repeated.

"Christ," I muttered, opening one of the bedroom doors, "and here you are."

"Wow, so clean," Adora said, "it's beautiful, Jo."

"Thank Lena and her interior designing expertise," I said, "towels are in the drawers, shampoo, soap, all that good stuff is on the side of the shower."

Lena leaned against the doorframe. "Jo, can you meet me in your office?"

I looked over my shoulder, lifting an eyebrow.

She bit down on her lip, nodding towards the door. I dropped Adora's bags on the floor and shot them a charming smile. "Make yourselves at home."

I closed the door behind me and followed Lena into my office, my eyes fixated on her ponytail swinging with each step.

She opened my office doors and stepped inside, leaning against my desk. I closed one of the doors and grinned. "You rang?"

I reached out to place a hand on her hip, but she pushed it away. "No, no, we need to talk."

I leaned my head back. "Mm hmm?"

"We're telling them about the wedding, right?" She asked, placing her hands on my abdomen.

"Yes, we are," I said, "I promise."

She smiled up at me. "Great."

She pushed herself off of my desk, but before she could brush past me, I grabbed her hand.

"Where's my kiss?"

She giggled. "I'm all sweaty."

I shrugged. "Sucks."

She smiled and I pressed my lips against hers for a chaste kiss, patting her behind. "Don't forget we have dinner with the entire family tonight." 

"How could I?" She asked.

"Wow, do you not like your in-laws?"

"I love my in-laws, but we're hosting it. A little stressful, if you ask me."