11. Code

BOOK OF BILLY: 2011

Chapter 11: Code

"Pop's coming to see you today!" Mum chirps, wheeling me out of the giant lift and towards the sun lounge. Not that I want to go. It was just a courtyard in the middle of the hospital, and there were always a handful of patients brought out to get their Vitamin D on a sunny day. Today was an effing sunny day. Just my effing luck.

"Great! Another adult to tell me how dumb I was for surfing my bike on an open road!"

"Billy."

"What?"

"Nobody's ever said that to you. Not your dad, and especially not me."

I remain quiet. It's true. No one has indeed said those words out loud, but I know they are thinking it all the time, every time they see me, strapped to the board on wheels, or chair on wheels. Unable to even go to the loo without help. I would be. If I were to see me right now. Boy Genius, brought down by a car. So embarrassing.

"Dahlia called last night. She wanted to know how you were doing, and if you wanted any visitors this week?" Mum locks the wheels on my chair and pulls over a plastic seat for herself, waving at some regulars. "I told her weekends might be better for you both, and I can take a break."

"How's your boy doing?" an elderly man asks, seated beside his senile wife, on the other side of the square. Catatonic in her gaze.

"Pretty good!" Mum glances at my face and the giant freaking cast on my right leg. I know my bruises have healed well. The external wounds are scabbing up and forming lifelong scars. The only ones left to heal are my fractured leg and my badly bruised ego. She touches my hair, brushing it out of my eyes. Yup, I need a haircut. My locks are now luscious. So ridiculous. That's what a two-month stay at a boring ass hospital does to you. Your hair grows long, your tastebuds die a thousand deaths, and your heart aches for freedom. At least mine does.

"I'd like to go to my graduation." I squint at the cross-word puzzle she has on her lap. She's been trying to finish it for two days now. It's annoying. I could easily tell her the rest of the answers, but she won't have any of it. "And I need more books. I'm bored out of my mind here."

She sits there mulling over the puzzle, her head nodding, but I know she hasn't heard a thing I said.

"Mum?"

She chews on her bottom lip.

"Mum?" I take the magazine and, thus, the puzzle away. I am in need here, woman. More than you need to finish the stupid puzzle!

"What, Billy? What?"

"Did you hear what I said? I'm bored OUT OF MY MIND."

She sighs, trying to reach for my hand. I move it away. I don't want to be comforted. No amount of comforting is going to fix me. My spine's broken. I will have to fix that on my own.

"I gave you a list of books last week. Did you get any of them for me?"

She eyes me for a long moment. This is how I know my attitude is rubbing her the wrong way, but I can't help it. I'm seriously bored, and I don't even have the luxury to escape it on my own. "Your pop's bringing a few for you today," she finally says. "They weren't exactly the kinds of books I can walk into a normal bookstore to buy!" She snatches her puzzle back, trying to get back to her task, then gives up and turns to me again.

"I know this isn't exactly easy for you, Billy. Your dad and I both can't even imagine how hard of an adjustment this is, but we are doing the best we can right now. The least you can do is, be a little civil."