10. Empress Dowager

The Empress Dowager was not Emperor Min Yuguan's birth mother. No one knew what happened during the previous reign; the current Empress Dowager had always been childless and entered the palace much later than the other favored consorts of the time.

The grapevines said the Empress Dowager, surname Bing(1), did not have a noble background. But she, a mere woman of the inner courtyard, sacrificed herself to save the dynasty.

As to what her sacrifice actually was, no one currently alive knew what exactly she had done. There was a blank gap during the short year, causing the current living people be oblivious to the history. If there was anyone who knew, they definitely were not willing to open their mouths. The Emperor most probably knew, else why would he honor the Empress Dowager more than his own late birth mother?

Rumor also said, the current Empress had distant familial ties with the Empress Dowager. That's why the Empress was still favored, despite not being able to give Min Yuguan any son.

From such an illustrious character like the Empress Dowager, Xu Yejing had received her personal attendant to 'check' on her. Did it have anything to do with the rumors about Xu Yejing, about the princes being smitten on first sight? Or did the Empress Dowager not have anything better to do?

As for the first reason, Xu Yejing could not imagine the princes being smitten with her ink layered face the first time they saw her.

And the way the old matron brushed over her jade bangle... .

The matron spoke to Xu Bijie, "This old servant has seen what needs to be seen, now knows what needs to be known." Her voice was calm and almost melodious and youthful despite her head full of white hair, "This old servant will take her leave."

Marquis Xu faltered a bit, then he ceremoniously bowed, "Please relay to Her Majesty Empress Dowager, this Marquis is always a loyal subject of our great dynasty Taishan. In regards to my daughter, anything this Marquis has decided in the past... is because this Marquis truly did not have any other choice."

"This old servant certainly understands," the matron gave a thin smile before leaving the estate.

Xu Yejing's blood ran cold when she saw that smile. She wished nothing more than Fu Yan and Fu Chun to return.

Most of the other guests did not explicitly introduced themselves to Xu Yejing, merely perfunctorily greeted her and wished her longevity ahead.

None of them wished her happiness and joy, one that would normally be wished upon for the person celebrating one's birthday. If Xu Yejing could boldly deduce, all of them gave her looks of pity.

One of the guests, a young man introducing himself as the attendant of the Second Prince, whispered when no one was looking, "Miss Xu, my Master just wants to relay a message: His Highness will do his utmost to protect Miss in the future."

When the guests all left the estate, Xu Yejing still did not know exactly what happened and what would happen. Only Qin Zhe and Qin Qiu remained.

Lady Jin nervously fidgeted, "Sir, the Empress Dowager... surely will not think our family is hiding things.... ," she glanced at Xu Yejing, "... on purpose, right?"

Marquis Xu sighed, "Yejing, is there any way you can contact the two cultivators from Flaming Cauldron Sect?" He paused and added, "And maybe add a few more aids?"

Before Xu Yejing could shake her head, Qin Zhe spoke, "On the account of my father's friendship with the Marquis, the Qin clan will also do our best to beg for mercy."

Marquis Xu looked at the young heir of Duke Qin in silence and could only sigh. The Duke had not contacted Xu Bijie personally. The only tie between the Qin family and the Xu family was just the engagement between Xu Biyao and Qin Qiu, and the friendship between Xu Yejing and Qin Zhe.