• Cycle of Trust and Betrayal •

Chapter twenty-two: Cycle of Trust and Betrayal

"What brought you here?" I asked the man across to me, but he only smiled and took a sip from his cup

"What brought you here?" I asked the man across to me, but he only smiled and took a sip from his cup. "Oraboni, I am asking your reason to be here." I said again, a small smile in the corner of my lips.

He put his cup down, laugh, "Am I not allowed to see you anymore?" He asked.

I sighed, "Of course you are allowed and welcome, but this sudden visit must've meant something."

The way he froze did not go unnoticed. And the way his eyes avoids making contact with mine, already tells that he was here for something.

"Just tell me. What is it?" I said again.

"My brother is now a concubine on the King's harem." He blurted, nervousness oozing from him.

"I know." I said, taking my cup and sipping from it. "Do not worry yourself, oraboni. I wont do anything wrong to him. He's you're brother, and through all these years, you're a brother to me too."

But, I am also the Queen of this country...

As long as your brother dont interfere with my plans, I will try my best to protect him from the court. But once he became a nuisance to me, an interference to me, I won't hesitate to turn my back on him even if that will cause me—you, Seokjin-oraboni.

I forced out a smile.

"Please don't worry yourself too much." I said.

The man sighed, relief washes over his face, as he smiled back. "I am grateful to hear that, Your Majesty." He said, bowing. "Do not worry, my brother will only be here for a while."

I nod my head. I stared at him, examining him.

Kim Seokjin is not the type to barge inside my palace without a certain reason. And I believe his reason is not entirely about his brother.

"Tell me, do you wish to tell me something, oraboni?" I said. He stiffened. Eyes slowly meeting mine, as his hand holding his cup of tea hang on the air.
I forced out a laugh, "You seem rather occupied this day. Are you alright? Is something bothering you? You can tell me anything."

Though I've known him since young. And though I love him as a brother. I can't really say that I trust him fully. I do trust him for my life, but not with my plans.

Seokjin is an enigma. Someone that is hard to decode. I have no idea which side he's taking, and what kind of thoughts circle his mind. And after all, he's a man of the court, his loyalty fully lays on them. To the King. To the country.

Perhaps he feels the same way about me.

Seokjin-oraboni looks away, sighing deeply as he put dow his cup. "I heard from the King that he entrusted you a task." He started, eyes still not meeting mine.