seventeen - half a heart

[you are so brave and quiet
sometimes i forget you are suffering]

"This is fucking nuts!" I shouted. We were in the dressing room at the venue. Cassie was in front of me, doing my make-up.

"Would you hold still?" Cassie teased lightly. I laughed too. I sat on my hands to keep them from fidgeting.

"Who agrees to preform in front of thousands of people on a three hour notice?" I asked no one in particular.

"You," Niall said from across the room.

I thought about just how bad of an idea it might be while Cassie finished my make-up. She started on my hair.

"You should put it in braids," Harry said. I looked at him, my eyes squinted in confusion.

"You play with it when you get nervous," Zayn said.

"I do?" I asked.

"You haven't stopped messing with it since Cassie sat you down in that chair," Louis said. I heard Cassie laugh from behind me and I shook my head. God, imagine when she finds out we fell asleep together.

"Anyways," Liam interrupted, "What is Mickey singing?"

"She was singing Half a Heart earlier," Harry said.

"Are you memorized on that?" Louis checked with me. I was facing the wall, away from the boys and the rest of the room.

"Yeah, but like, I've never sang it without the recording," I explained.

"Sing it now!" Louis said excitedly.

"What? No way, you're crazy!"

"You're going to do it in front of a bunch of our fans," Zayn reminded.

"Don't remind me," I laughed.

"I think you should," Cassie commented.

"See, look. Even Cassie agrees with us," Harry teased.

"Dude, I don't know," I said. Cassie finished my hair, leaving me with two dutch braids. The make-up she applied wasn't too dramatic, but it was enough. She walked to the clothing rack and pulled off some clothes, walking them over to me.

"Go change. You're singing when you get back," She said lightly, pushing me into the bathroom. I changed as slowly as I could into a pair of high waisted light wash jeans and a white cropped shirt. I pulled a leather jacket over it and walked out into their sight.

"She kind of looks like Zayn," Niall commented. Zayn and I both looked down at ourselves and then at each other before laughing.

"Get a picture!" Zayn said. He and I posed for a goofy picture that he put on Twitter. He pulled me down between him and Louis, where everything was quiet. Niall picked up his guitar and strummed the first chord of Half a Heart. He gave me a look, before continuing the intro.

In about ten seconds I knew my cue was coming up. "Just sing, don't think," Louis said from beside me.

And I did.

"And I'm half a heart without you," I finished softly. It was quiet for a second.

"There's no way Simon doesn't try to get a record deal with you after tonight." Liam said firmly.

"Why?" I asked. Apparently, that was a dumb thing to say. The room exploded. The general tone was Mickey you fool how do you not know how amazing you are. "Ok,ay, okay," I laughed.