Pehli Mulaqat

This OS is dedicated to someone really special. Meri pyaari behen Anshikaaa! (YUDKBHT) Happy Birthday. I hope you like this os.

***

"Yeh kya pehna hai tunne", Preeti chided my choice. "Kyu acchi nahi lag rahi?", I checked herself in the mirror, wasn't I looking good? "Tum hamesha acchi he lagti ho". "Toh phir problem kya hai?". "Problem yeh hai ki tu aaj jijaji se milne jaa rahi hai, matalb unke hosh udane jaa rahi hai". I blushed at the name of Preeti's jijaji, my to be husband. It had been a week since we met. No it was not a love marriage but a proper arranged one. But it would not be wrong to say I felt a strong attraction towards him during our first meet.

*

"Naina beta, sab keliye coffee lana", that was my Chachiji's cue for me to come in front of the ladke wale. I stepped out of the kitchen clad in a pink chiffon saree, taking slow shy steps I approached my possible in-laws and bent down to serve the coffee. I noticed a middle aged lady probably the boy's mother. She smiled at me and said "Thank you beta". Beside her was a girl of seven years old who whispered once I bent near her "Toh aap meri hone wali bhabhi ho?", I smiled at the innocent question of the seven year old. Next was an old man, probably the boy's grand father. One look at him and you would get the feel of the worldly knowledge and maturity he has acquired through the years. He gave me a warm smile that spread warmth in my heart. Next to him was... well him. I could see he was shuffling his feet, probably even he was as nervous as I was. Slowly my eyes traveled from his feet to his face and wow, it refused to move away from his face. His eyes twinkled, and lips curved in a soft smile. Taking the coffee of the plate he said the sweetest thank you I have ever heard in my life.

Directed by my Chachiji I took the seat beside her on the opposite sofa. The elders conversed on some random topic, in between my eyes ventured to catch a glimpse of him and when I saw him looking back at me, I immediately averted my eyes down. Few more minutes passed by and I could see him tapping the knee of his grandfather lightly and the next moment, his grandfather requested my family if the young possible couple; that being us; could have few minutes of privacy. Looks were exchanged between my family and finally when tauji nodded in a yes, my Chachaji gave the family's consent to his grandfather. Preeti stood up and accompanied me till the room with him following behind us. Once we reached the room, Preeti sent me in and winked at me before closing the door.

We both did not speak for first few minutes. My eyes were glued to the floor. Then he broke the silence. "Tumhara kamra hai yeh?", he asked. Why did all the words coming from bis mouth sound so sweet? "Jee mera aur meri behen Preeti ka." "Nice, bohot sundar hai". "Thank you", my eyes were still down. "Sirf kamra he nahi", he paused for a while and added "aap bhi", and that was the moment when I looked straight into his eyes. He smiled and his smile spread to my lips.

"Baite?", he asked and I nodded and sat beside him on the bed, of course putting some distance between us. "Main Sameer, 25 years, Nanu ka business sambhalta hoon", he introduced himself. "Naina, 24 years, likhne ka shauk hai mujhe, I want to become a writer". "Wow, that's nice", he did not object my passion, my heart soared with happiness. "Aur aapka naam ekdum perfect hai, Naina...", he leaned forward towards me to say this. "Thank you", I put back a loose strand of hair behind my ear and he furrowed his brows, I did not understand why he did so. "Toh...", he asked. "Toh?", I replied. "Toh... kya?" "Toh..kuch nahi", we both smiled. "Toh... kya main tumhe pasand hoon", he asked bending his head to one side. "Jee...woh...", I fidgeted with the end of my pallu. How could I say... "Naina look at me", his voice definitely had some kind of magic, it made me look at him despite my shyness. He looked at me with earnest eyes. Those dark brown mingled with mine and he broke into smile, "Mujhe mera jawab mil gaya". I blushed, he understood just by looking into my eyes. "Tum mera jawab nahi janna chahti?", he leaned even more. Again no we weren't that close as shown in movies, but close enough for my heart to jump and reach his. I nodded, but not showing my impatience to hear his response. He was about to answer but Preeti knocked on the door and then opened the it, "Bahar sab bula rahe hai". He got up and looked back at me before going out of the room.