Chapter Forty-Eight | Rumours

"This is outrageous!" Robert roared.
     A week after Darrel returned to London, Robert stormed into the dining room. Tom, Henry and Mary looked up from their breakfasts. Robert threw the newspaper onto the table and flung himself into his chair.
     "What's happened?" Mary inquired.
     "Did you see the papers? Darrel is on the front page because nobody's seen her since she returned to London," Robert explained.
     "Why is that anybody's concern?"
     "Because members of the royal family are usually seen in public. According to this article, the king is locking her in the palace until she learns to be a princess. I better go up there."
     "Why?" Tom asked.
     "To make sure this isn't true. If they're hurting her again..."
     Robert began to go into a rant as he listed the many plans he had in store for Their Majesties. Mary rolled her eyes, while the men exchanged worried looks.
     "Papa, relax," Mary sighed. 
     "I will not!" Robert protested. "I need to make sure that she is safe."
     "I'm sure she is," Henry assured.
     "She hasn't called me back in a week! What if she's locked in her room again?"
     "I'm sure she's resting. A brick hit her in the head."
     "I better go..."
     Thomas cleared his throat and stepped forward. The others turned to face him, and looked surprised to see the butler (they forgot that he was there). He bowed his head.
     "My lord, I can assure you that she's fine," Thomas informed.
     "How do you know that?" Robert demanded.
     "I am friends with one of the bodyguards that came with her, and we exchange letters. I asked him about Lady Darrel, and he told me that the court physician told her to stay in bed. It was only supposed to be for a few days, but he had to extend it because she still isn't feeling well."
     Robert nodded. "Thank you Barrow. I hope you're right. Could you ask your friend to tell her to call me? I'm quite worried about her."
     "Of course m'lord. If you would allow me to go, the letter can arrive at the palace with the evening post."
     "Of course."
     "My lord."
     Thomas nodded to them and left the room.
     "Heavens, I never thought Barrow would be the one to calm your nerves," Mary smirked.
     Robert glared at his eldest daughter, "Do not joke about this. The king and queen might be her parents, but they do not care about her."
     Robert stood and stormed out of the dining room.
     "Lord Grantham may end up doing something he'll regret," Henry sighed.
     "Well, he needs to learn how to control his emotions at some point," Mary shrugged.
     "Your lack of emotions never ceases to amaze me," Tom gasped.
     Mary gave her brother-in-law a sly grin and got back to eating her breakfast.

     Meanwhile in London, JF and Sebastian were in their sitting room having coffee. The door opened and David stormed in.
     "How can you be so angry this early in the morning?" JF inquired.
     "Have you seen the papers?" David sighed, as he sat down. "Every single newspaper in England has a theory about Darrel's public absence."
     "People love to gossip about the monarchy," Sebastian shrugged. "Why are you so bothered?"
     "Because my father put me in charge of dealing with this. I have more important things to do with my life than talking to the press."
     "All you do during the day is play archery and drink."
     "Since you said that: you can tell Darrel about the rumours."
     "What?" Sebastian exclaimed. "Why does she need to find out?"
     "Lord Stamfordham wants her to give a speech to the public once she's better," David informed.
     "Who is the Lord Stamfordham, and why is he significant?"
     "He's my father's private secretary, and he was Queen Victoria's before that. He claims to know what he's doing, and my father trusts him."
     "Then have him tell Darrel about the rumours. I don't want to be the one to break the news to her."
     "You're her fiancé!" JF reminded. "It has to come from you."
     "Fine," Sebastian groaned, and he strode out of the room.
     Once the door closed behind him, David let out a heavy sigh and poured himself a cup of coffee. 
     "Is the prince alright?" David asked. "He seems unhinged."
     "He misses Darrel," JF explained. "And he's frustrated because Their Majesties hate him."
     "They don't hate him...they don't like him, but it's not hatred."
     "I'll be sure to tell him that; it will make him feel so much better."
     David smirked. "Sarcasm was never a good look on you."
     JF rolled his eyes.
     "So, how much longer are you going to stay in England?" David inquired.
     "Are you trying to get rid of me?" JF joked.
     "Of course not, I enjoy your company. But it's been two weeks, and I assume your aunt and uncle aren't happy with how much time Sebastian is spending here."
     "He's useless at home. He spends all his time thinking about Darrel."
     "He's pretty useless here. He still spends all his time thinking about Darrel. I have never seen someone so in love."
     "How many people have you seen fall in love during your lifetime?"
     "Well played."
     The two men laughed then David stood up and straightened his suit.
     "I should go," David informed. "Unlike you, I'm not on holidays, and my father expects me to sort this business out by the end of the week."
     "Good luck," JF nodded.
     "Drinks tonight?"
     "I prefer that over dining with your parents."
     David nodded in agreement then headed out. JF pulled his flask out of his pocket and flopped onto the sofa.